Cost of living in Centurion area in South Africa

kumar's picture
By kumar - Posted on
06 September 2011
Hi, Please let me know the cost of living in Centurion area in South Africa for a family of three (me, my wife and my daughter)? My wife is a housewife and my 3 yrs daughter is going to play school now. Please let me know the rate in this area. It will help me to calculate my monthly budget. Thanks.
Stephanie's picture

Charlotte, North Carolina (the USA)

Stephanie's Website
Most expats find the cost of living in South Africa, particularly that Johannesburg/Pretoria area, suprisingly affordable. Mind you, this is not the Middle East, so your salary may not be the highest, and it certainly won't be tax-free, but I think you'll find you'll be able to attain a relatively high standard of living with a reasonable income.

Housing in that area of Pretoria/Joburg (for a 3-bedroom) ranges anywhere from 5500 to 10,000 ZAR, depending on the level of luxury you're after. Though, you can get a nice, big house with two living areas, two bathrooms, a garden and off-street parking for 8000 ZAR.

Otherwise, your next largest expenses will be car payments and the cost of schooling for your little one( check out the Education and Schools in Johannesburg page for more info about this).

There's no reliable, secure system of public transport in South Africa as of yet, so you'll need to buy or lease a car. Again, depending on your taste for the finer things in life, this price can vary. A pre-owned (but relatively new) luxury Volkswagen will set you back around 100,000 ZAR, and then you can always find vehicles for considerably less, or you can drive new off the lot for considerably more. Car insurance can start at 250 ZAR and make its way up to 1000 ZAR per month, depending on your driving history, your sex, your international status, your age, etc...

You'll also need to foot the bill for private education for your 3-year-old in the future. Public facilities are, for the most part, deemed unacceptable (though there are a few choice exceptions). Tuition can be anywhere from 30,000 and upward, so start saving now.

Food costs and enterntainments costs are otherwise reasonable, and hopefully, your employer will help sort out your health insurance.

Stay tuned for the Expat Arrivals updated Cost of Living in South Africa page - coming this Friday.

Read more posts about South Africa