Sign in to join the discussion or ask one of our experts another question.

Family living in HK

rsnortham's picture
By rsnortham - Posted on
17 June 2011
I'm moving with my young family to HK. The kids will be going to the American International School in Mong Kok. I will be working in the CBD. Given this, where is a good place to live? I'm moving from Sydney and love the beaches (Repulse Bay is ok but not good for the school commute). I also love the buzz of the city but know that high rise apartment living wouldn't be great for the kids. I really also don't want to live in a claustrophobic expat gated community. Any suggestions? thanks a lot
Stephanie's picture
Last seen: 5 years 35 weeks ago
Joined: 19/04/2010

Living in:
Cape Town, South Africa

Charlotte, North Carolina (the USA)

Stephanie's Website
Hmm, sounds like you're going to have to sacrifice something along the way. I've contacted some of our local experts to help you with your query, but in the mean time, I certainly recommend having a look at the "Accommodation in Hong Kong" page. Lots of helpful info and good tips included.
Your rating: None
LeslieChammasNasr's picture
Last seen: 6 years 18 weeks ago
Joined: 21/06/2011

Living in:
Beirut, Lebanon

Beirut, New York

Leslie's Website

For any information on moving to Hong Kong go to
This valuable e publication has tried and tested information on essential topics which will make your move stress free
You should check out the housing chapter and pay particular attention to Sai Kung. the area has a beautiful beach and a large expat community and is a much easier commute to Mong Kok

Your rating: None
NormaTeggart's picture
Last seen: 3 years 13 weeks ago
Joined: 02/11/2010

Living in:
Hong Kong

the United Kingdom

Norma's Website
Hi there,
Hope some of the information below based on my experiences living in and moving to Hong Kong will help you.

Firstly, it is very difficult to find affordable, well located, property in Hong Kong that isn't a high rise apartment.  The majority of housing is in very tall, usually very small apartments, especially if a location close to work and school is important to you.

You can find low rise, 'village houses' and other options, dotted around in various locations, like Sai Kung, Lantau and around the outer lying New Territories, but this will be a lifestyle choice for you in terms of adding commuting time to your work and school days.

If you need to be near Mong Kok for your children's school then you could look at Hung Hom as an option which is a more local area with a number of Expats too.  I don't think you will find low rise living or beaches there, but you can get a home on the waterfront that feels connected to the city, but not too close, without actually being out in the countryside.

The only other tips I can think to offer at this point is to try to engage a number of different housing agents to help you with your search, as they tend to specialize in small, localized areas and as you will be looking for something different you will need as many people helping you to look as you can.  Also, as soon as you can when you get here, start visiting some of the areas you think you might want to live and do the commute to your school/office to get a sense of the reality of the journey.  

I don't want to dampen your high spirits as a move to Hong Kong is great and full of opportunity and you will find a great house/apartment that meets some or all of your needs.  At this stage though it is good to set your expectations that it is likely to be smaller than you had imagined or hoped and you may need to make a choice along the way between a commutable location and spacious, low rise, beachside living.  For me, I chose a fantastic view over having an oven in my kitchen, so no baking for me these days!

Please get in touch if I can help more and it would be really interesting to know how you get on in your search if you don't mind posting an update.
Good Luck

Your rating: None
ethk's picture
Last seen: 2 years 25 weeks ago
Joined: 11/06/2015

If you are still looking for a place to move. You can consider living in village house, since they are bigger, usually around 650 sq. ft., 3 bedrooms, and with greenery surrounding. My mum has actually one in Shatin, looking for professionals, expat teachers preffered, to rent(long term). Take a look at this site:
Mong Kok is 3 MTR stations from Shatin.
My mum's house is facing a valley, with fresh air, think you might like it. But doesn't matter if you like it or not, just for your reference.
E-mail me if interested, there is a link in the above site.

Your rating: None

Post new comment

Please only respond to the original question. If you have a new question, click here
By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.

Comment Note

If you are not logged in, your comment will first be moderated before showing up on the page. Thanks for being patient. Please don't resubmit your comment when you don't see it appear immediately.

If you browser seems to hang when submitting a comment, please click here and reload the main Q and A Forum Page.

Read more posts about Hong Kong

Login with your Facebook account (Recommended)
, after login or registration your account will be connected.