Tax Questions For Dual Citizenship

Joe Baur's picture
By Joe Baur - Posted on
01 August 2012
Evening, My girlfriend plans on applying for citizenship in Greece through an ancestor, but still reside in the U.S. for the time being. Would she be subject to Greece tax laws even if she's not residing there? Cheers, Joe
GabyS's picture
Last seen: 5 years 24 weeks ago
Joined: 28/03/2012

Living in:
Cape Town, South Africa

South Africa

Hi Joe

Officially all Greek citizens living abroad permanently have to file a tax return, but as far as I know as long as she has no Greek property, doesn't earn an income in Greece, etc she won't need to do this.

I suggest checking at your nearest Greek embassy, which hopefully will also be able to point you in the direction of a Greek-speaking accoutant who can help you out. If she does need to file a return this will be difficult if she doesn't speak Greek - all the online forms are in Greek, with no English translations, and to file a return in English you basically have to go into a tax office in Greece in person - not an option for you.

You can have a look at the Expat Arrivals Banking and Taxes in Greece page for more info.
Your rating: None
Joe Baur's picture
Last seen: 5 years 41 weeks ago
Joined: 01/08/2012

Thank you, Gaby!

Your rating: None

Read more posts about Greece

Login with your Facebook account (Recommended)