Teaching jobs in Dubai?

Not-Steve's picture
By Not-Steve - Posted on
09 November 2017

Myself and two friends have been living and working in Qatar for the last 2-3 years, but are now looking to move over to Dubai.

The catch is none of us are qualified teachers. Having said that though, I have heard that there are schools in Dubai that will hire unqualified teachers.

Could someone perhaps point me in the right direction as to what schools would fit such circumstances.

Thanks in advance :)

EmmaL's picture

Hi Not-Steve

Have any of you taught at a school before? Experience is important when you're teaching. In some schools, you can get by as an English teacher with having a TEFL qualification that you can get online. Dubai, however, is a very popular expat destination, so you have to keep your possibly better-qualified competition in mind. Read our article on working in Dubai for some more information.

Hope this helped,
Anonymous

Hi Emma

Thanks for the insight.
Well we all have a TEFL and have been teaching English in Qatar for going on 3 years now.

Would that improve our chances?

EmmaL's picture

Hi again

It should definitely improve your chances, yes. At what type of school were you teaching before? If you're looking at positions in English language schools, you shouldn't have many problems, but if you're planning to join a primary or high school, it might be different. Do you have bachelor's degrees? The combination of a bachelor's and a TEFL is usually good enough to get you into a primary or secondary school. It really depends on the school's requirements, of course.

Good luck!
Move_It's picture
Last seen: 1 week 2 days ago

Hi.

I have just received an offer from one of the Indian schools owned by a very large group in Dubai. I am a UK trained teacher with over 7 years of experience internationally. What sort of pay should I expect apart from the usual perks that come in the Middle East.

Anonymous

Hi again Emma

Yes, I do have a bachelors and a TEFL. To be honest I would be happy in either of those settings.
I should probably also mention that my degree was in Sport Science so by most standards(of what I've seen anyway) I'm qualified to be a physical education teacher as well.

Right now I just really want to leave Qatar for a fresh start and so that I can do my PGCE as well so I don't have to jump through these hoops in the future.

EmmaL's picture

Hi Move_it

The average teacher salary at international schools in Dubai is between 2700 USD and 3800 USD, but it really depends on your experience. There are some websites that you can use to estimate a salary internationally. Try Salary.com, it's free and takes several factors into account. 

Hope this helps,
EmmaL's picture

Hey Not-Steve

Are you planning to return home to do your PGCE? While you might not have a dedicated teaching degree, you do have teaching experience, and that definitely counts in your favour. Have you taught physical education before? With your experience and education you could get a position at a primary or high school teaching English and PE.

Anonymous

Cheers Emma,
Thanks for the help. Much appreciated! Shall look it up on salary.com.

Read more posts about Dubai