Expert Info

Posted by jacky mclean
on 10 Apr 2016
I am a new resident (with residency) in Umbria, Italy and because my husband still commutes to UK for work he is not classified as a resident. We are not retired (therefore no pension) however he obviously provides my financial support. The S1 form that was once provided from UK tax office giving expats like for like medical benefits in Italy has now been stopped. Therefore I am not entitled to free health in Italy. (until we are retired and he is able to become a resident) Can someone advise me if private medical insurance can be taken out and what is the procedure then for going to the doctor in Italy? i.e....doctors write a bill? The UZL/ASL departments do not seem to know anything! Hope you can help....
Shantalie on 21 Apr 2016
Hi Jacky,

Are you from the UK? As a EU resident you should have some access to healthcare in Italy.

Read more on the Healthcare in Italy page.