BBC in Russia - How to Watch English TV?

Stephanie's picture
By Stephanie - Posted on
13 October 2011
Can anyone advise how to watch British television in Russia? I haven't yet mastered the language, and BBC is an addiction anyway. I have a PC with a Windows 7 operating system.
Stephanie's picture

Charlotte, North Carolina (the USA)

Stephanie's Website
You get a few of the British television channels if you purchase a satellite television package with a Russian service provider, but most of them will be the major news channels. If you're in it for BBC Lifestyle, than you'll have to make another plan. Though, because you mentioned your computer, I'm assuming you're not so interested in installing the satellite and going about it the expensive way.

One way to do this, is to set up a virtual private network with a UK address. Then you have access to BBC I player, and ITV. Otherwise, I've heard that you can download something called Expat Shield, and then simply go to the URL where the channel of your choice plays their shows live.
spring75's picture

Use a vitual private network like uktvaccess.com or similar...I use uktvaccess and it has been quite good for almost a year now.

Stephanie's picture

Charlotte, North Carolina (the USA)

Stephanie's Website
Hi Spring75-

Did you have to set this up prior to moving to Russia? Can you explain the steps?
spring75's picture

no, you can do it there. you sign up at their web site (costs a few euros a month), and they will give you the set up instructions. Takes about 5 minutes to get set up - their web site explains better than I can.

Anonymous

Ive been using www.laptoptelly.com for few months to watch British Telly away from home, works pretty well so far, all the channels.

Anglo Vpn's picture

Try using www.anglovpn.com, does the trick for BBC & ITV away from UK.

Spear 6293's picture

There are many British programs shown here on television. mainly detective shows or dramas. Problem is that all are shown in Russian, so best advice is to learn some of the language as soon as you can.

Anonymous

If I install expat shield or similar on my computer - can I get ITV (and BBC) in Russia? Does it actually work? Are there any you can try for free to make sure?

Read more posts about Russia