British international School Victoria Island in Lagos - Is this a genuine job offer ?

amin000rasti's picture
By amin000rasti - Posted on
05 September 2013
Hi, I have recently received a job offer from the British International School in Lagos for a teaching position. I was approached through the job hunting site that i was registered with. The package seems fine, the salary is also reasonable I reckon, However, I did not find the email much on the academic language. They have asked me for my documents yet I have not submitted anything to them. Is there anyone who could be kind enough to provide me with some information about the ingenuity of the school? All your efforts and advise would be much appreciated. Thankfully, Amin
amin000rasti's picture

You need to get checked mate!!!

GlobalNomad's picture

Have you been through the whole interview process yet and been in direct contact with the school? I'd be very weary of any job offer without going through the formal process. An international school is likely to have a very rigorous recruitment process before making any job offers, so something to consider....
Anonymous

Thank you kindly for the informative comment...no i have not been through such interviews...that was one of the points that made me reconsider the whole thing...and it seemed too easy!

You could also contact the school directly via the contact details on their website (not the ones provided within the email), ask to speak to the principal or someone in charge of recruitment.

Job scams originating from Nigeria are becoming more and more sophisticated. Always trust your gut instinct, if something seems to good to be true, then in probably is.

Whatever you do, don't part with any cash. Scammers often ask candidates to pay a fee for their visa, etc. If its a genuine position, they wouldn't ask you for any money upfront but take it from your first salary, if at all.

Good luck.

Ifeoma Anene's picture

I am currently living and working in Zambia since last year and I am Nigerian. Job scams are very popular all over the world not just Nigeria, I have received such job offers from practically every continent. You should definitely look up the School. British International School Lagos is a very prestigious school and I have never heard that offer positions without full recruitment process which is very rigorous. Look up the school's website and contact them directly.

Thanks for your comment Ifeoma Anene. To reiterate this point about job scams from Nigeria you can also take a look at previous threads here and here, to get an idea about the lengths scammers will go to.

Good luck again.
Ifeoma Anene's picture

To put it simply any job offer from an unknown source no matter where it COMES from without proper interview process should be well scrutinised as no employer will demand money from anyone for recruitment.

Anonymous

I've got same offer letter only to add that an agency sent email to me and asked for 800 $ to process the work visa which now im in doubt. I tried to call the school numbers itself which provided in their website but they are seemed to be wrong numbers,i don't know what to do

As Ifeoma reiterates, you really need to be suspicious as they are asking for money up front. Expats hired by international schools, generally have to go through a rigourous selection process. It is odd that they are recruiting people without an interview, this should make the alarm bells ring.

The contact details for the school can be found here : 
http://www.bislagos.com/ContactUs.aspx

F
orward them copies of the email/letter you received confirming the job offer, so they can verify wether it is a scam or not.

Read more posts about Nigeria