Expert Info

Posted by wfinger
on 14 Sep 2016
I have defense contractor presently living near a military base in Sigonella Italy. With all the proper documentation, can he apply for a work visa while still in Italy or will he have to return to the US to apply for the Work Visa. He is there was a tourist and have only 90 days. he works on a US Naval Air Station. He will continue to work for the Navy as a contractor after the approve work Visa. Bill
Anonymous (not verified) on 16 Dec 2016
Hi Meagan, I have a solid offer lined up. :)
Meagan on 15 Sep 2016
Hi Bill,

He would unfortunately have to leave the country and apply from home as a tourist visa cannot be converted to a work visa inside Italy. More details here on the process of applying for a work visa.

Anonymous (not verified) on 27 Sep 2016
How can I get a working permit or what can I do
Meagan on 28 Sep 2016

Are you a national of an EU country? If so, you have the right to work in Italy. If not, you will need to apply for a residence permit to be granted the right to work. To be eligible for this you will need to have secured a position already with an Italian employer. You can have a look at our Work Permits for Italy page for details on this.

Meagan on 29 Sep 2016

You will need to ask your company to be transferred, and then you will need to apply for a working residence permit. Click here for more details.

Anonymous (not verified) on 29 Sep 2016
Hi, I work with Italian company, based in india. I want to work at Itali what is visa procedure.
Anonymous (not verified) on 3 Oct 2016
it is true that if you have travel to italy with visit visa for 4 times you can apply for residence in italy? reply to
Meagan on 3 Oct 2016
Hi there,

No, that is inaccurate information.

There are two categories of outside visitors to Italy: if in the country for less than 90 days for whatever reason, you are considered a tourist. Any longer than that and you are considered a resident. But the correct documentation must be applied for and obtained to do this legally.

If staying for longer than 90 days, either a residence permit (non-EU nationals) or a declaration of presence on Italian soil  (EU nationals) is required. However, this does not grant permanent residency; only temporary residency. Please click here for more information.

You would also have to provide a reason for your stay and proof of this (for example work, family, business, study, etc), and would need to be able to prove with documentation that you have the financial means to support yourself during your stay.

Anonymous (not verified) on 5 Oct 2016
hi i need to italy work visa pls tell us procees my brother 15 year work in italy millan i need visa work how much salary
Meagan on 10 Oct 2016
Hi there,

What's your nationality? If you're a citizen of an EU member state the process will probably be a bit easier.

If not, you'll need to enter the country on a tourist visa to get married and then apply for a residence permit for family reunification. This page provides a summary of what's needed and how to go about this.

You can apply for Italian citizenship after you've been married and living in Italy a certain amount of time - the exact amount of time depends on if you're an EU national.

Best of luck.


Anonymous (not verified) on 9 Oct 2016
I am entering Italy as a tourist, and if I will marry my Italian boyfriend, as I am visiting will I be able to get a permanent status then?
Anonymous (not verified) on 25 Oct 2016
Hi, I am staying (with family) and working at middle east since 92. Recently someone offering me a job from Italy. What is the procedure get the residence permit from here for me and my family as well. Thank you.
Anonymous (not verified) on 30 Oct 2016
Me India.How to apply Italy country job
Anonymous (not verified) on 17 Nov 2016
how i can get work visa
Meagan on 18 Nov 2016
I answered this question earlier in this thread, here it is:

Are you a national of an EU country? If so, you have the right to work in Italy. If not, you will need to apply for a residence permit to be granted the right to work. To be eligible for this you will need to have secured a position already with an Italian employer. You can have a look at our Work Permits for Italy page for details on this.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Anonymous (not verified) on 8 Dec 2016
Hi! I believe you answered this question already. I am currently in Italy applying to jobs. I am American and am here on a tourist visa. Unfortunately I did not check in within 8 days of coming here which may have been my main mistake I believe it I wanted to work. Anyway I have a couple companies interested in me (international & local). Do I need to leave Italy and apply for my work visa? Thanks so much.
Meagan on 9 Dec 2016
Hi! As far as I know, the employer is reponsible for most of the work permit application process, so it would probably be best to ask potential employers this question. You can have a look at this link over here for a bit more on how the work permit application works. Do you already have a solid job offer lined up or are you just in discussion with potential employers at the moment?
Anonymous (not verified) on 10 Jan 2017
Hi there....I'm American and want to purchase property and open a B&B in Italy. What sort of Visa is required and can you direct me to the steps involved? I would be running the business with my boyfriend who is a U.K. citizen. Thanks!
Meagan on 10 Jan 2017
Hi there,

You might find the Italian start-up visa useful (link). Otherwise, you can also have a look at our page on visas for Italy for a summary of the types of visas available.

Are you familiar with the process of purchasing property in Italy? Our guide for buying property in Italy gives a good overview.


Anonymous (not verified) on 9 Jan 2017
I am satwinder singh from india plz can you tell me how much open work permit in 2017 for seasonal worker..thnks!
Drea on 30 Jan 2017
Hi Im not sure if you already answered something like this.. I'm australian and my partner for 3 years is a Italian citizen. We've been living on and off there with me doing the tourist visa. We recently purchased a house in milan. So now I want to know my best option for getting long term residence so I don't have to leave every 3 months. I am entitled to a british passport which is currently expired but I don't know if it's worth renewing after brexit? I was wanting to take up studies in brera milan but I'm wanting to know do I have to keep leaving after the studies ? Would it be better a work visa for a year? And can that be chanfed while I'm in italy for a residential permit or my partner could sponsor me ? And answers would be so appreciated...thanks in advance.
Anonymous (not verified) on 10 Jan 2018
hi im KOHLI MISS: from india but 4 years6 month living in UAE MY question I apply to skilled work permits