Can I change my employer in Abu Dhabi?

thessalonica's picture
By thessalonica - Posted on

Hello I'm from Philippines and Im currently working as a housemaid here in Abu Dhabi for 15 days and I just found out that I can only have 1 day off in a month and that I should clean the house before I can take my day off. I work 13-14 hours a day. I'm really exhausted since I arrive because I haven't rest yet since my 9 hours flight.I'm just wondering if I can change employer? Because I heard their is a ban and that they can sent me back and have to pay for my visa. I really don't have any idea. Please help me understand.. Thank you

EmmaL's picture

Hi Thessalonica

Sorry for your bad experience! The most important part of what you plan to do now will rely on your contract. Did you work through a recruitment agency? Do you have a contract? Read our page on work permits for Abu Dhabi for some extra information.

If you worked through an agency, they should be able to advise you as to what to do. If you didn't, you need to make sure that you haven't been a victim of the current black-market of Filipina domestic workers. Your employers shouldn't keep your passport, and if they do, it's a definite red flag. The UAE has plans to protect the rights of domestic workers, but at the moment, it is a murky area. This article discusses what the UAE is planning to implement.

Do you have a copy of your contract?

Read more posts about Abu Dhabi