Can I take over the counter medicine into qatar?

suzanna11's picture
By suzanna11 - Posted on
03 April 2012
can u take over the counter painkillers- eg co codamol into qatar? or are they availibal there?only going on a visit basis but would like to clarify just dont want to run into trouble!if its on prescription does that make a diff?are there any restrictions on what prescription medication u can take in? i take regular mecication for blood pressure?thank you in advance suzzannax
Catherine's picture
Online
Last seen: 3 min ago

Cape Town

Johannesburg, South Africa

Catherine's Website
Hi Suzzanna, Qatar is very strict when it comes to the importation of drugs into the country and luggage is subject to inspection upon arrival at Doha. Some over the counter medication which you get back home may be considered illegal in Qatar. If carrying any medications with you, it's best to have a copy of the original script and a letter from your doctor explaining your condition. You should also carry the medication in its original packaging. There is no shortage of pharmacies in Qatar and you should be able to get painkillers or any other general medicines you may need.

Medical treatment in Qatar is also good and you are likely to receive adequate medical attention in the case of an emergency. But, as you have a pre-existing medical condition, you should ensure that you have comprehensive medical and travel insurance. To read more about Qatar's health system, read our Healthcare in Qatar page.
suzanna11's picture

hi catherine thank you so much for replyn yes i do have all my insurance stuff covered and i will def take a copy of my script with me thank u i think im just worryn incase i break the law without realising it!!its only regular blood pressure medicine soim sure it should b ok iv never visited nywhere like qatar before so im a bit apprehensive as wot to expect and try to find out as much as i can thank you for ur help

Catherine's picture
Online
Last seen: 3 min ago

Cape Town

Johannesburg, South Africa

Catherine's Website
You're welcome Suzzanna! Enjoy your trip to Qatar! 
Anonymous

Hi, I was just offered a job in Doha. I am nervous about the prescription situation. I have ADHD and am prescribed amphetamine as treatment. I am concerned as I really can't do my job without my treatment, so either need to bring it (and not get arrested) or get it there. Does anyone know if I can get this in Qatar? Many countries I know don't understand ADHD.

xThanks!

Read more posts about Qatar