Cost of Living Comparision

arun200781's picture
By arun200781 - Posted on
10 July 2012
Hi, I have 2 job offers at the moment, one in Doha and the other in Riyadh, the salaries are roughly the same with Saudi paying about 3k riyals higher. I have Saudi is very strict with rules for Women and they cannot work or drive there. I might choose to opt for qatar (Doha). What the current prevailing rent rates in Doha for a one bedroom hall kitchen and cos of living compared to Dubai or Saudi. The salary being offerred is 16k and we are a couple. Wife would surely work but that would be at a later date. Thanks and looking forward to your reply as I have a couple of days to respond.
GabyS's picture

South Africa

Hi Arun200781

For more information take a quick read through the Accommodation in Qatar and the Cost of Living in Qatar pages. Also have a look at the Cost of Living in Doha page, which lists the prices you could expect to pay for a family home.

In terms of living with you wife, why not have a read through the Women in Saudi Arabia page and the many forum topics on the subject for more information about what you can expect.

Good luck with your decision!
Catherine's picture

Cape Town

Johannesburg, South Africa

Catherine's Website
Hi Arun, you're right in saying that the lifestyle in Saudia Arabia is a lot more conservative, and depending on where you are coming from and what you are used to, the adjustment to life in Saudi may be a lot harder than in Qatar. Nevertheless, both countries are Muslim and conservative, but as your wife is unable to drive and unlikely to get a job in Saudi, if you're looking to earn more and want your wife to work, Qatar might be the better option. We've just updated our Cost of Living in Saudi Arabia page, so have a read through it if you want to compare it to Qatar.
Anonymous

I have offered a salary of 7000 Qtr. is it ok for a city like qatar. i have a family with 2 small school going kids.

Catherine's picture

Cape Town

Johannesburg, South Africa

Catherine's Website
Hi Anonymous, whether this is a good salary for you and your family all depends on what your particular lifestyle and needs are, and what you are used to. I'd suggest checking out the Cost of Living in Qatar page suggested by Gaby.
Anonymous

I am a banker and my bank has given assignement in DOHA for three year. My salary will be 9500 Qatari Riyal. Cost of residential lease will be provided by the bank beside this school fees of the children will be reimbursed. local transporation they are not providing. Shortly i will be leaving for DOHA. it will be of great help if you inform me with regard to : A) cost of second hand vehicle in DOHA. B)Whether my salary is ok in DOHA c)My wife is MBA and MSC in ZEOLOGY, whether any scope is there for her job : MR Sinha

Syed Tawqeer's picture

can anybody tell me the cost of accomodation for one month in doha ..??

Syed Tawqeer's picture

hi ,
i am planning to travel to qatar from UK for better lifestyle and good salary. My friends suggested that as i have done MBA from england i can get some good opportunities there , but i dont know how to apply for visa while you are in UK and hold an indian passport ???

Catherine's picture

Cape Town

Johannesburg, South Africa

Catherine's Website
Hi Tawqeer, have a look at our Visas for Qatar and Work permits for Qatar pages for info on what you need to know about getting a visa and working in Qatar.
Anonymous

Is it ok to work together with my spouse in one company in Qatar? We are applying for a job through a recruitment agency but in different field but the same employer. I am applying foR a staff in a school and my wife for a teacher? If given a chance where both of us will be hired.is it possible?

Anonymous

I am from India currently and have been offered a job in Doha. Is 9500 to 10000 riyals fine to accomodate for 2 people? What is the average rent in Doha for a 2 BHK or 1 BHK?

Anonymous

.

Hi Anonymous,

I think a salary of QAR 9,500 to QAR 10,000 may be a little tight for two people to survive.

Rent on a two-bedroom place is not cheap, at around QAR 7000-9000 per month on a two bedroom flat.

A car is also essential for expats living in Qatar - this will cost around QAR 2500 per month.

Take a look at the Cost of Living in Qatar page for more information. 

Read more posts about Qatar