Cost of living in South of France - 2012

Sally's picture
By Sally - Posted on
01 December 2011
My husband and I are planning to sell our house in the UK and retire somewhere quaint and quite perfectly adorable in the South of France (probably the Languedoc-Roussillon region). We'll most likely have more than enough money to buy a place, and even renovate - if it comes to that. So, no mortgage payments necessary. With that in mind, we want to make sure our pension will cover our remaining years in France. Can anyone tell us what the cost of living is in the South of France, for a couple looking to live out the twilight of their life comfortable, but not extravagantly?
Stephanie's picture

Charlotte, North Carolina (the USA)

Stephanie's Website
The best thing about the cost of living in the South of France is that no matter what you'll prob have a high quality of life. Even if you spend very little. That said, here is a breakdown of my costs, mind you, I've been living in France for the last 7 years - so there's definitely been some increases. That said, we're still getting by. Keep in mind, that we also own our house and we also own our car - so no mortgage or car payments. 

Monthly we have around €1400 to play with. Here's a list of some our basic expenses:

EDF (electricity) €135
Phone and Internet €50
Heath Insurance (to cover the 30% that isn't covered by the state) €130
Car and Home Insurances €63
Taxes (habitation and foncières and TV) €50
Water €40
Fuel (to fill up the car twice) €110
Groceries (approx.) €500

Total €1078

Let me know what other questions you have.
Your rating: None Average: 3.5 (4 votes)
Anonymous

My husband and I are considering relocation from the USA to the Montpellier area sometime during the next 12 months. He is a UK citizen and I am an American. Neither of us is planning to work after relocating to France. Any advice (financial or otherwise) is much appreciated.

Anonymous

Do you know what it costs to renew a long stay visito visa? Thanks

Anonymous

Spend some time travelling around France; the best places aren't always the most popular; there are more and more English speaking residents in the unspoiled areas off the beaten track, and the internet/satellite connections mean you are never isolated if you do not wish to be.
Consider a new build as opposed to renovating: it is cheaper and guaranteed, in the long run you will save on energy bills, and have it built to spec.

Read more posts about France