Expat communities in Jubail?

Andrew James Rogers's picture
By Andrew James Rogers - Posted on
Hi, I'm a British teacher and I've just arrived in Jubail and will be here for 1 year. Does anybody know of a local expat scene as I'm eager to meet other expats? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Stephanie's picture

Charlotte, North Carolina (the USA)

Stephanie's Website
Hi-

Most expats in Jubail live in compounds sponsored by their company - are you in one of these? This is generally the best way to meet fellow expats in Saudi Arabia. Though, if you're teaching at one of the international schools you shouldn't have any problem linking up with colleagues as well as expat parents.

Also, I think there's a branch of Hash House Harriers up and running in nearby Al Khobar.

Lastly, phone up your embassy or ask your organisation about contact information for fellow Brits living in Jubail or current clubs.

For more information about moving to Saudi Arabia have a look at the Expat Arrivals Saudi Guide.
Andrew James Rogers's picture

Hi Stephanie

Thank you for your quick response. The company I work for doesn't provide housing for its employees in compounds. We receive a housing allowance and find our own accommodation. I'm currently living in an apartment in Jubail city centre at the moment. I've been surprised by the cost of rents here as I'm paying 2000 riyals a month for a small apartment.

I have only seen 1 compound in Jubail and that's the one by the corniche. I've been told that generally the compounds are far from Jubail itself. Is this true? I work for a Saudi organisation and have no contact with international students.

Thank you for your advice and I will contact the embassy to see if they have details of any clubs in the local area. In the meantime if you could notify me of any social events which will happen soon in Jubail's expat community please let me know.

Thanks once again and all the best
Andrew

Stephanie's picture

Charlotte, North Carolina (the USA)

Stephanie's Website
Hi Andrew-

I know you posted your original questions ages ago, but I recently made contact with an expat in Al-Khobar who seems to have her finger on the social pulse of the Eastern Province. If you're still in Saudi Arabi you can find her contact information in the expert profile alongside our "Moving to the EP" page. She let me know there's a lot of groups in the area that spearhead social engagement, but most of them do their marketing/advertising via word of mouth. So if you're still looking for to make some friends in Saudi, perhaps she'd be good to get in touch with. 
Anonymous

Hey Andrew/Stephanie, I just moved here to Jubail and finding it really hard to meet people, from the UK near Manchester and haven;t found any other Brits, could you please let me know if you had any luck as I would love to start playing football again!

Cheers

Asif

Anonymous

Hi Asif / Stephanie,

Thanks for the information Stephanie although this is the first time I have checked this site for about 8 months!I hope you are well. Hi Asif, I'm still in Jubail and unfortunately there's very little expat scene here unless you live on a compound. Most expats here keep themselves to themselves. There is a running group called the Hash which run every fortnight in Jubail and I may be able to put you in touch with someone if you want to play football. My e-mail address is dyfaldoncs@hotmail.com . If I have your e-mail address I can send you some info. All the best.

Andrew

Anonymous

If you are still in Jubail, there is an active branch of the Hash House Harriers. They go on their runs every other Thursday.
You can meet other expats if you contact the International school in Jubail which will have British and American expat students. The Brits should be able to hook you up with the hash and to get involved. It is not easy when you don't live on compounds or work for a large company with alot of expat employees. I know from experience. Good luck and it has been a year since you first posted so I don't even know if you are still there. If so, I hope you have gotten connected with other expats.

Anonymous

Thanks for all information. I am moving to Jubail in September 2012. Kindly explain the social life for non muslims ?

Andrew James Rogers's picture

Hi, unfortunately there seems to be little social life in Jubail unless you live on a compound. I don't and it can be difficult to meet other westerners here. There seems to be far more expats in the Khobar region. There is, however, the Hash House Harriers which is a running club which meets every other Friday to go on runs in the desert near Jubail. It's a great place to meet other expats. Other than that, I'm not really sure of any other social clubs in the Jubail area. Hope this helps and please let me know if you'd like contact details about the Hash.

Anonymous

Hello Mr. Andrew, Greetings of the Season

I am writing to you to request you for your kind suggestion and comments in respect of setting up a compound for expatriates in Jubail. I have searched on the web and looked at the ‘expatarrivals’ website and would like to seek your help in gaining some purchase for our project to be based there.

I am attaching a master plan consisting of 83 villas that includes a club house, children’s play ground, etc. and I would like to get your opinion to include any other facilities that would further improve our schematic profile in order provide a more conducive environment for expatriates living there.

We would also like to seek your help in getting a company to rent, pre-rent, etc. to enable us to finance the opportunity expeditiously. I look forward to the opportunity to meet with you on our next trip to Jubail. Please do not hesitate to call me for further details and discussions.

Many thanks,

Engr. Fayez Siddiqui | Managing Partner & COO

MBAC Development & Construction | M: +966 0596598079 | T: +966 1 462 7711 | F: +966 1 462 3636 | POB: 69983 Riyadh 11557 | KSA

Anonymous

Many thanks,

Anonymous

HI,
I have just arrived in jubail in search of job. i have worked in different countries, now a days looking for job any one can give me link or referance
SKILLS
 Team leader possessing specialist tax and finance knowledge coupled with diverse multicultural industry exposure and high rated interpersonal skills.
 Advanced knowledge of International Tax arrangements, legal structures, tax planning and cross border transactions with tax implications.
 Communication skills with people at all levels.
QUALIFICATIONS
 Module –E Institute of Chartered Accountants of Pakistan
 Professional I – Association of Chartered Certified Accountant (UK)
 Bachelor of commerce –Punjab University
 Bachelor of Business Administration- Allama Iqbal upon university
 Four Years Article ship - Gantt Thorton.
WORK EXPERIENCE
September 13, 2012 Moreno Group Plc- Tax Consultant-Nigeria
Responsible for following aspects:
• Responsible for finalisation of annual financial statements.
• Managing Criminal tax investigation for last three years by Federal Inland Revenue Services.
• Manage tax audit for 2011 by FIRS.
• Presentation on various aspects of Transfer Pricing (As per OECD guidelines) due to promulgation of new clauses in Income Tax Law.
• Preparation of Audit exercise under section 47 & 48 of personal income tax act for 2009, 2010 and 2011 by team of five personal of Federal Inland Revenue Service in Lagos State.
• Responsible for monthly and annual tax compliance like Monthly VAT, Monthly Withholding tax return, Monthly pay return and Annual corporate tax return.
• Review of appeals and appearing with tax consultants before Tax Tribunal.
• Obtaining tax clearance certificates.
• Responsible for cash budgeting and business plans in consultation with Technical department.
• Coordination with Technical team for preparation of claims.
• Liaison with factoring consultants for certified interim payment certificates.
• Part of Technical team for discussion with clients and consultants for contracts.
• Filing and revision of Expat returns to Immigration department for last four years due to tax criminal investigation.
• Managing team of six accountants as well as their training.
• Re organise accounting & Tax compliance system.
August 2011 to November 2011 Schlumberger Malaysia – Project Tax & Accounting Lead for Indirect and Direct Taxes
(France, China, Malaysia and Philippine) (Tax Accounting, Transfer Pricing ,Tax Planning and Tax Compliance)
Responsible for direct & indirect taxes projects:
• Responsible for transfer of knowledge and migration of FFC (French Geo Market) to KL.
• Liaison with E& Y France to sort out translation issues of return & financial statements.
• Coordination and transfer of system knowledge to E&Y team for preparation of indirect taxes for Asia and European countries.
• Centralisation of indirect taxes and training of consultants (E&Y) on Lawson system for outsourcing of Indirect tax returns preparation.
• Review of VAT return, personal taxes and withholding tax return for Far East countries and middle east countries like Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia, Philippine ,India and Saudi Arabia.
October 2010 to August 2011 Schlumberger Malaysia – ARM Accounting & Tax Lead (Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Abu Dubai , Iraq Kuwait ,& Iraq) ( Tax Accounting, Tax Planning, Transfer Pricing and Tax Compliance)

Responsible for all tax matters of the Arabian Market with a team of 6 people. Specifics include:
• Responsible for delivering services to the Geo Market according to Service Level Agreements
• Providing expertise and advice in the domain within the Financial Hub.
• Leading team of accountants and processors to ensure that services provided to the Geo Market is in accordance with the SLA.
• Implementing process improvements to ensure efficiency and accuracy in the delivery of services to the business.
• Responsible for tax KPIs.
• Part of team responsible for transfer pricing study and transfer pricing report for tax authorities.
• Developing the tax strategy with the view of the business growth and future tax challenges.
• Innovate and introduce fresh tax planning leveraging on the international legal structure of the corporate and utilising international tax conventions and agreements/treaties.
• Participate in the tender and contract negotiation to obtain optimum tax and commercial benefit.
• Ensuring timely and accurate tax compliance and managing any assessments and related litigation.
• Ensuring the preparation and availability of audited financial statements and filing of tax return on time.

March 2008 to October 2010 Schlumberger Saudi Arabia – ARM Senior Fiscal Accountant ( Accounting ,Tax Reporting,
Tax Compliance ,Tax Planning & Transfer Pricing)

Responsible for the following matters related to taxes and customs:
• Finalisation of audits and financial statements for last three years.
• Filing of corporate tax return for four legal entities of SL .
• Revision of corporate tax returns before tax inspection because they were filed on draft financial statements.
• Preparation and review of filing of withholding tax return.
• Response to custom authorities for reconciliation of fixed asset imported with fiscal books.
• Attended tax inspection for four entities from 2003 to 2010.
• Filing an appeal on major issues of withholding tax as per company view transaction (Technical nature) with affiliates subject to 5% rather than 15% as per Saudi law.
• Assist E& Y in preparation of appear on issues other than withholding tax identified by DZIT during tax inspection.
• Preparation and review of GOSI reconciliation as well as defended and explain to DZIT during tax audits for four entities from 2003 to 2010.
• Assist, review and authorized E&Y for translation of book in Arabic.
• Change CAPEX model from purchase of fixed to leasing module from affiliates to reduce ETR.
• Preparation of Tax business plane and quarterly rolling tax forecasts.
• Conversion of financial statement based on US GAP to country specific financial statements based on International Accounting Standards.
• Advice on various issues as well as on contracts.
• Managing tax provision as per FASB109 (ASC 740) and FIN 48 & 18.
September 2006 to March 2008 Schlumberger Pakistan-Fiscal Accountant (Accounting, Tax Compliance, Tax Planning & Customs)
Responsible for the following matters related to direct and indirect taxes in Pakistan:
• Reconciliation between US GAAP and International accounting standards
• Reconcile and controls differences between fiscal and management accounting practices.
• Reviews customs, VAT and excise tax compliance.
• Preparation as well as monitoring of corporate tax return to ensure results in line with tax planning.
• Managing Effective ETR.
• Restructuring of legal companies to use unabsorbed losses.
September 2005 to September 2006 Schlumberger Pakistan-Custom Consultant
Member of the Custom Project Team for resolution custom disputes with Alternate dispute resolution board:
• Presentation of long outstanding, disputed cases before Alternate Dispute Resolution committee.
• Develop and finalize strategy for settlement in ADR committee
• Appear before ADC committee and Appellate tribunal.
• Liaison with lawyers of Supreme Court to prepare strategy in case department fails to understand company view point.
• Reconciliation of import records with impugned liability.
• Established as well as monitor procedures for compliance Custom laws.
July 2005 to August 2005 Avocett Mining Group Tajikistan-System Accountant and Internal Auditor
Mainly responsible for followings:
• Corporate compliance.
• Liaison with custom consultants and tax consultants.
• Filing of corporate tax return.
• Preparation of budgets and business plane
• Managing financial audits and preparation of financial statements.
September 2004 to July 2005 Telenor Pakistan Private limited-Assistant Tax Manager
Join Telenor at the time when it launches its operation for the first time in Pakistan. Responsibilities included ensuring
• Filing of annual corporate tax returns.
• Filing of monthly VAT /Sales Tax Return and Withholding tax return.
• Liaison with consultants on various technical issues.
• Quarterly reporting of tax provision to Oslo office.
• Manage import aspects to the extent of compliance to avoid any exposures.
• Advising different function on different legal issues encountered during launching phase of Telenor.
• Managing records for Ex -pats for their fringe benefits.
• Implementation of oracle payroll..
December 2003 to September 2004 Orascom-Assistant Manager Employee Benefit and Compensation
Responsible for the following matters related to employees personal taxes
 Monthly preparation of payroll and calculation of wide variety of incentives related to telecom industry.
 Manage accounting of provident fund.
 Preparation of quarterly, half yearly and annual reporting pack.
 Liaison with consultants on various technical issues.
 Finalize audits of provident funds for last three years.
 Compliance with Zakat and Usuar Ordinance for last five years
 Evaluation of different options for the purpose of investment of Provident fund.
December 2002 to December 2003 Comcept Pakistan-Finance Executive

Responsible for the following matters related to corporate affairs
 Weekly & Monthly reporting to chief executive and directors
 Finalization of financial statements.
 All aspects of corporate tax compliance.
 Develop procedures to claim duty draw back under sales tax on exports.
 Monthly preparation of payroll.
 Manage accounting of provident fund.
 Develop procedures to develop duty draw back and transfer of shares to non residents.
 Preparation of budget and business plan.
September 1998 to November 2002 Grantt Thorton Pakistan (Anjum Asim Shahid Rehman and Company)-Auditor
My responsibility being an auditor includes:
 Preparation of reports/opinions/Annual Accounts/Interim Accounts and communications relating to the Internal Control weaknesses identified with appropriate recommendations.
 Job in charge for audits Like Ghazi Barotha (Impregillo), Hydro Power Project, Hyundai Chasma Power Project , Redco Textile mile etc.
 Advising clients on various tax matters particularly with respect to the withholding of tax and its monitoring, helping clients in preparing and filling various monthly, quarterly and annual statements with the tax authorities and advising clients on the calculation of advance tax liabilities.
 Responsible for various consultancy assignments like merger of financial institutions, construction companies, project studies to determine cost of utilities bills for ministry of finance and budgeting for National Reconstruction.
OTHER EXPERIENCE
Responsible for the development & implementation of oracle financial payroll at Telenor Pakistan Private limited. Involved in the system study, validated functional document and assist the consultants to customize the system according to 5year forecasted needs of TPP.
TRAINING AND COURSES

Completed 1-year course on application usage of products of Oracle Financials Ver 11i. Have completed the 5 modules i.e. General Ledger, Accounts payable, Fixed Assets, Accounts receivable and Cash Management.

Completed various course of Lawson General Ledger, Accounts payable, Fixed Assets, Accounts receivable, HRM, Cash Management., Revenue, and Inventories.

Hands on experience in SAP Business One solution i.e Financial Accounting, Budgets, Inventory, Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, Human Resource, Sales, Purchases, Cash and Bank.

Hands on experience of GEAC, Sidyat Financials, Tally and AS 400

Read more posts about Saudi Arabia