Getting a job before living in Amsterdam?

hziegelbauer's picture
By hziegelbauer - Posted on
05 November 2013
What is the best way to find a job before you move to Amsterdam when still living in the states? Is there a process to it all? I've never had to find a job outside of even the state I live in... So looking for work outside of the country leaves me a little clueless. Any info would be helpful? Thanks Heather Z
Xavier's picture

Cape Town

Johannesburg

Xavier's Website
Hi Heather

Moving overseas is pretty difficult, even for people who've done it a lot and, should you be successful, you will probably be tired of processes for a while. So, in short, there is a process and you should be prepared for it to take time, and for it to be frustrating. 

The first step I'd recommend is to read as much as you can. For a start have a look at our guides to the Netherlands and Amsteram, especially our Working in Amsterdam, Working in the Netherlands and Work Permits for the Netherlands pages. 

Before looking for actual jobs, have a look at official Dutch government websites. A good starting place would be the website for your closest Dutch consulate or embassy, and see the official requirements for yourself. Also, have a look at the US state department's section on the Netherlands.

Once you have more of an idea of what's required, you can search for job recruitment sites and the like.

Have a look at the pages I recommended, they'll give more specific advice and let me know if you need anything else.

Best of luck!

Xavier

Read more posts about The Netherlands