Hepatitis B positive and jobs in Abu Dhabi

keronaptha's picture
By keronaptha - Posted on
16 February 2012
I got selected for a job with an oil company in abu dhabi, but I am Hepatitis B positive. Can I accept the job or I will deported upon arrivals?
Stephanie's picture

Charlotte, North Carolina (the USA)

Stephanie's Website
Hi Keron-

You are not the first Hepatits B postive person with a job in Abu Dhabi to be concerned about deportation. While this was a valid reason to bar people from entering the emirate in the past, as of August 2010 the Ministry of Health decided that it would no longer be so. Now, only six categories of workers, including nannies, housemaids, nursery/kindergarten supervisors, beauty salon and health club workers, private drivers and food handlers in cafeterias and restaurants, are required to test for Hepatitis B, and can be deported if found positive. So, if you're in the oil field, this shouldn't be a worry.

That said, since the Ministry of Health made that statement, many people still reported being deported even though they didn't fall into one of the job categories listed. That is because, though the Ministry of Health approved the legislation, it still needed to be officially accepted as law. At this point, in 2012, it seems that everything has been sorted out and that you will not be tested. That said, I don't want to be responsible for any disappointment on your behalf, so I would advise phoning the Ministry of Health in Abu Dhabi and asking yourself.
Your rating: None Average: 4.6 (5 votes)
Anonymous

thanks Mam for helping me to find out my answers but Still I want to know whether this rule has been officially decleared as Law ? If so , how long will it take for actual implementation for the expats coming from India

Anonymous

yes 100% you are good to go my friend as i have a friend similar to your case.God bless!

Your rating: None Average: 4.5 (2 votes)
Anonymous

i m a hepatisis b positive i want to go for employment for abroad which country should i go? Please give the answer

Your rating: None Average: 3.5 (4 votes)
Anonymous

I am positive of hepa b this coming august il be going to Abu dabi...visit visa at the same time to find work there I am a hotel and restaurant graduate please help me in what categories that il be going to apply...thank you...god bless

Anonymous

its my dream to work abroad particularly in UAE where lots of my relatives are working now but am hesitant to go because am a chronic hep b positive. As much as I dont wana lose hope in pursuing my dream, it still scares me to go and be deported eventually. I have researched everything that concerns my case and luckily found some uplifting results. I am an Accountant and I think that does not fall in 6 categories required for hbsag medical test. Im just saving enough money to finance my departure and acquiring work experiences. Hope this will be the start in reaching my dream. Tnx for this kind of blog! godspeed.

Anonymous

Hi, whats the latest news.

Anonymous

hi...im been working in restaurant in abu dhabi for more than 1 month.when i went to SEHA for medical i noticed that i have hepa b and that is the reason why i deported.now im here in philippines and i went to hospital for check up and i noticed that my hepa b is CARRIER.i want to come to AUE to work again .there any possibilities though i have hepa b carrier,please help me,,

Anonymous

well to tell all you I have been rejected by oil companies in abu dhabi . they have not cleared my any reason. But I know this is due to only HB+ even I am at career stage. Not in that SIX catagore mensioned above. Bad luck....!!!

Anonymous

hi.i am kiem.also hep b active.
i want to go in Dubai as a wilder.can i have a job in there?sorry for my english.

Anonymous

Sir my name anand i got offer in soudi power plant but iam suffring hapatites B +ve. so iam eligibul or not pl repply

Anonymous

Did anybody know what situation is in Libya about hepatitis B CARRIERS?

Anonymous

Hi I have got a chance to travel to thailand... and am hep b positive.... wil i be allowed to travel ... Kindly help me out...

Anonymous

Its really hurt for to know that some of us are infected from this virus..
I am an HRM graduate, I have a contract to a 5star hotel in Seychelles, free accommodation and big salary of-course.. when I was about to undergo some medicals HBG ect. then I found out that I am a Hep-B positive..
so very depressing.. I'm so young to have such illness... I do really know that there's no chance for me to go abroad... sigh... =(

Anonymous

Hi i m hepatisis b positive person from india and i want to go abroad so which country should i go?

Anonymous

ok guys ,so whats the latest??

Anonymous

For all of these questions, you can apply to canada.

Your rating: None Average: 3.5 (2 votes)
Anonymous

Anonymous

hi were with thesame problem stll looking for a place to travel work abroad but i already lost hope this illness is the priority to denied us not physically fit to work abroad.

Anonymous

i want to know if schools in abu dhabi are accepting employees with hepa b? thank you!

Anonymous

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for writing to Abu Dhabi Customer Support,

With the reference to Case No. 100-459018 regarding your queries about medical test

1-Medical tests needed to work in Abu Dhabi for all categories are:
• HIV blood test
• CXR to rule out active Pulmonary Tuberculosis (PTB). People applying for new visa are not considered fit if they have CXR evidence of active PTB or old inactive PTB.
• Physical assessment to exclude Leprosy skin disease.

2-Hepatitis B test will be done in addition to the above mentioned tests for 6 categories only:
• Food handlers (including food preparation, serving and observation)
• Workers in restaurants and cafeterias
• Barbers, workers in beauty shops and health clubs
• House maids and private drivers
• Baby sitters
• Nannies & Staff working in nurseries & kindergartens.

3- Syphilis test is done for the same above categories mentioned in point 2

4- Pregnancy test is done for females coming to work as housemaids, nannies & private drivers.

For further inquiries you can contact Health Authority on the following number
+9712-4193559

Please don’t hesitate to contact us on our toll free number 800 555 (24 hours / 7 days a week) or email us contact[at]abudhabi.ae

With Best Regards
Abu Dhabi Government Contact Centre
(Int’l) +971 2 666 4442 | F +971 2 671 5550

Anonymous

iam a counselor but I have hepa b, is there any chance for me to work in abu dhabi?

Anonymous

I am originally Egyptian. I have received a job offer as a faculty member from UAE University. I am Hebatitis B carrier.According to new law i should not do Hebatitis B test but in university offer they say i have to do it. Can any one explain this?

Anonymous

i graduated civil engineering, im now reviewing for boardexam.. after the exam, i want to go abroad to have work in UAE as AUTOcad operator, .or in supervising a constructon of a building. can i go there? even if i am hepa b carrier? i just want to go abroad to pursue my dreams. hope you could answer my question.. thanks. godbless us

Anonymous

hapataticmploy vi b is depotable disease for uae employ viza plz tell me ...amara

Harvesterye's picture

I'm a Chinese who just got an offer to work in Dubai as a manager responsible for telecommunication equipment installation. I was infected with hepatitis B before. Even though my body has cleared the hepatitis B virus on its own, I don't know whether the UAE government will permit me to work there.
The following is my blood test result in China:

HBsAg 0.02 ng/ml Negative
HbsAb 52.63 mIU/ml Positive
HBeAg 0.09 PEI U/ml Negative
HBeAb 0.6 PEI U/ml Positive
HBcAb >4.050 PEI U/ml Positive

1. I heard that gulf countries only test the HBsAg level for hepatitis B.
2. Do you know the situation in Katar, because I'll first get skill training in Doha if I am good to work in Dubai.
3. Please tell me whether this result is Okay;
4. Or please give me a phone number/email address where I can get the information I need.

Thank you very much for your time!
Looking forward to get your reply.

Best regards!

Anonymous

Dear what precautions and special medicine have you taken to make it negative.please tell as many others are waiting for same

Harvesterye's picture

I did not take any medication. My body had cured itself before I took the blood test and found out I'd been infected. But anyway, see a doctor if there's any problem with your liver function. If you're healthy, as most carriers are, quit smoking and liquor. That is a good way to prevent it from getting worse.

Thank you!

Anonymous

I got a job offer in Abu Dhabi as Room Attendant. Visa was ready but the doctor saids on their finding "weak reactive Hepa B" that's why i'll go to HBV confirmatory, something like that" do i still have a chance to work in UAE.

Anonymous

hi, i am from Philippines and recently have my medical test to travel to Bahrain but result is i am HB + but so far did not go back to the doctor after they ask for a second sample.I work as a secretary but our company was already sold and i am just awaiting for my cancelation. My question is, will i have a problem in Abudhabi airport as i did not go back to Al Madina Clinic to talk with the doctor? Pls advise.

Read more posts about Abu Dhabi