Teaching as a Foreigner in South Africa?

amoffett's picture
By amoffett - Posted on
24 February 2017

Does anyone have any insight/information regarding the ability of foreign teachers to obtain teaching positions within the South African school system (public, private, or international schools)?

My husband, a South African citizen, and I, a US citizen, will be relocating our family to Cape Town in late August. I am a certified teacher in the United States and would like to continue teaching when we relocate. Although I will initially be coming to South Africa on a spousal visa, I will be applying for permanent residency.

Thanks,
Anna

Last seen: 1 day 7 hours ago

Hi Amoffett,

Where are you from? 

You might be best approaching international schools that follow the curriculum you have experience in teaching. Also what subjects and age groups do you teach?

As your husband is a South African citizen you shouldn't have too much difficulty getting a spousal visa with a work endorsement. You can read more about the process on the Visas for South Africa pages.

Anonymous

Shantalie,
Thanks for the advice. I am currently a teacher in the United States. I have been teaching for 10 years and mainly teach primary (ages 8-10) math. I have also taught science to ages 10-12.

International and American schools have definitely been on my radar.

Thanks,
Anna

Read more posts about South Africa