on 16 Oct 2012
Hi guys,

I am busy planning a move to Washington DC in Feb 2013. I have an exciting new job opportunity over there.

I am a 28 year old, young professional and I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on where best to rent an apartment. I'll be working in the downtown area so I would like to be close to work. I enjoy socialising and meeting new people, so it would be nice to be in an area which has a good vibe with lots of places to eat out and grab a drink after work.

I don't plan on buying a car, unless I need to travel a lot beyond Washington so it would be great of other expats good give me their thoughts on the best way to get around the city.

Thanks in advance.
Anonymous (not verified) on 3 Dec 2012
We moved to Washington DC two years ago and stayed in Cleveland Park. This area was very convenient for us, and we took the Metro train to work (which was only a good 5-8 minute walk from our apartment). The lesson we learnt is - stay away from the eastern side. Your best location is NW area. Georgetown is expensive, and so is Dupont Circle. Columbia Heights is a bit rough for our liking, so I would suggest you look for areas in Cleveland Park or Van Ness, with the 20008 zip code.