Which is the best suburb in Boston for a student ?

Jonny's picture
By Jonny - Posted on
19 September 2012
Hi Everyone,

I am moving to Boston to nest year to study at Harvard University.

Can any one advise me on where abouts to live? I'd like to be close to campus and also in a lively area as I want the opportunity to socialise meet other students and expats.So, where do most expats live ? What costs should I expect to fork out on rent ? I've heard it is quite high so I would be willing to share an apartment if that was an option

I've been advised not to get a car and rather use public transport, so wherever I live will need to be on major transport route ?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Last seen: 4 days 4 hours ago

Hi Jonny,

If you are going to be studying at Harvard next year I would recommend exploring living options in Allston or Brighton. Both of these areas are popular with university students. Allston tends to be more suitable for a social butterfly as there a lots of bars and nightlife options. Brighton is a little quieter and lots of postgraduates choose to live here. You'll be close to campus and on major transport routes.

A one bed room place in either of these suburbs would cost you around USD 1,450 -2,500. 

Read more about living options on the Expat Arrical's page - Areas and Suburbs of Boston.

Good luck with the move.

Read more posts about The USA