Moving to Budapest in November as with a pre-existing health condition that requires regular visits to a doctor, I'm a bit worried about the healthcare in Hungary. Coming from the UK where I don't have to pay a fortune for treatment, will I have access to public healthcare in Budapest? Really need to make sure I'm going to be able to stay healthy and also not break the bank trying...
Catherine on 23 Jul 2013
Hey there Wallace

Healthcare in Hungary is generally of a high standard. If you're working in Hungary under a local employment contract you should have access to free or subsidised medical care through the Health Insurance Fund. You should also be able to get access to public healthcare with your European Health Insurance Card, which is valid within all EU member states.

You can read more about this and what you need to quality for access to free public healthcare in our Healthcare in Hungary page. 

All the best with your relocation!

Marylin Ball-Brown on 21 Oct 2013
My husband and I have retired and are considering moving to Hungary. We are concerned about healthcare costs. Could someone who has emigrated from the US let us know what their health insurance costs are and what programs they use?
matebauer on 30 Nov 2018

Hi Wallace,

The healthcare system is actually really good in Hungary. Just sort out your insurance. There also a good selection of private doctors available in Hungary. 

And good luck!