Wondering about the healthcare system in Hungary?

Wallace's picture
By Wallace - Posted on
17 July 2013
Moving to Budapest in November as with a pre-existing health condition that requires regular visits to a doctor, I'm a bit worried about the healthcare in Hungary. Coming from the UK where I don't have to pay a fortune for treatment, will I have access to public healthcare in Budapest? Really need to make sure I'm going to be able to stay healthy and also not break the bank trying...
Catherine's picture
Last seen: 1 day 4 hours ago

South Africa

South Africa

Catherine's Website
Hey there Wallace

Healthcare in Hungary is generally of a high standard. If you're working in Hungary under a local employment contract you should have access to free or subsidised medical care through the Health Insurance Fund. You should also be able to get access to public healthcare with your European Health Insurance Card, which is valid within all EU member states.

You can read more about this and what you need to quality for access to free public healthcare in our Healthcare in Hungary page. 

All the best with your relocation!

Marylin Ball-Brown's picture

My husband and I have retired and are considering moving to Hungary. We are concerned about healthcare costs. Could someone who has emigrated from the US let us know what their health insurance costs are and what programs they use?

Read more posts about Hungary