Visas for Hungary

►Buy the Expat Guide to Hungary in PDF format


Passports - Visas for Hungary

All foreigners require a passport valid for at least 90 days to enter Hungary. Hungary is part of the Schengen area, and citizens of EU and EEA states don’t need a visa to enter the country; all they need is either their passport or European identity card.

Although most non-EU/EEA citizens need to apply for a Schengen visa to enter Hungary, citizens of a select number of non-EU countries are eligible to enter Hungary without a visa.

Schengen visas for Hungary

To apply for a Schengen visa expats will need to gather the required documents, complete the visa application form and submit to the Hungarian consulate or embassy in their home country before they travel. Processing time can vary, so expats should make sure to submit the application well before their departure date.
If applying for a Schengen visa to travel to Hungary for business purposes, it is usually necessary for expats to include a letter of invitation from the Hungarian business party and a letter from their local employer stating their business duties in Hungary.
In some cases, applicants may be asked to provide additional documents at the discretion of the Hungarian embassy or consulate. It's common for expats to be asked for proof of employment and proof of residence in their home country as an indicator that they will return home after their trip.
Once the visa has been granted, expats should still bring their supporting documents with them on their trip as border guards may request them.


Residence permits for Hungary


Non-EU/EEA nationals

Foreigners intending to stay in the country for longer than 90 days need to secure a residence permit for Hungary. They should apply before entering the country; successful non-EU applicants will be granted a single-entry visa, valid for 30 days, to enter Hungary for the purposes of collecting their permit. The permit allows expats to apply for address registration and is renewable and valid for a year. Long-term resident status is granted after five years of continuous stay in an EU country for both EU and non-EU nationals alike.

EU/EEA nationals

For EU/EEA nationals and other nationalities that do not need a visa to enter Hungary, a residence permit can be applied for at the Office of Immigration and Nationality in Hungary after arrival. This should be done within the first 90 days of being in the country. The documentation required to secure a residence permit is dependent on the purpose of stay in Hungary.
Once expats have a valid residence permit and card, they can apply for a tax card and a social security card. To work in Hungary, a valid work permit is required in addition to the residence permit.

*Visa requirements can change at short notice and expats should contact their respective embassy or consulate for the latest details.

Search Expat Arrivals

Become our local expat expert for your area!

Become our local expat expert for your area! We are looking for contributors to help make this the ultimate guide for expats. Get in touch if you can provide useful info on your city or answer forum questions from new expats.
Find out more.

Got a question about your new country?

Login with your Facebook account (Recommended)
, after login or registration your account will be connected.