Whether going to Ireland on holiday or business, nationals of certain countries will need to acquire the relevant visa. To ensure a smooth transition, it's important that travellers take some time to familiarise themselves with the various visas for Ireland, and find out what is needed to enter the Republic legally. 

Tourist visas for Ireland

Although Ireland is part of the EU, it is not part of the Schengen Area, meaning that Schengen visas cannot be used to enter the country. Travellers who are nationals of certain countries, including those in the EU and the USA,  among others, do not need a visa to enter Ireland.

Citizens of some countries who hold a UK visa can enter the Republic of Ireland without an Irish visa as part of a Visa Waiver Programme. This includes a number of countries in Asia, the Middle East and Eastern Europe. There are specific requirements, however, and expats should confirm these with their respective Irish embassy or consulate.

Short-term holiday visas for Ireland are generally valid for up to 90 days, 

Business visas for Ireland

Expats travelling to Ireland to attend business meetings or conferences will also require a Short Stay Visa. The list of nationals that need a visa is the same as that for tourist visas.

In addition to the general documents needed for a tourist visa, business visa applications need to include an invitation from the Irish host company, a letter of confirmation from the applicant’s employer and proof of where the applicant will be staying in Ireland.

Residence visas for Ireland

Expats who are not from the European Economic Area or Switzerland and who want to stay in Ireland for longer than three months will need to get a Long Stay Visa. This applies to expats who intend to work, study or stay with family in Ireland.

In addition to the relevant visa and travel documents required, applicants may need to prove they have enough funds to support themselves for the duration of their proposed stay.

Once the Long Stay Visa is granted, applicants will have to apply for permission to stay and register with the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service (INIS). In this case, it is also necessary to apply for a residency permit.

Expats looking to work in the country will need to first apply for an Irish employment permit with the Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation (DJEI), then an entrance visa, if necessary, and finally register with the INIS.

*Visa regulations are subject to change at short notice and expats should contact their respective embassy or consulate for the latest details. 

Expat Health Insurance

Cigna Health Insurance

Cigna Global

Cigna Global can tailor an international health insurance plan to perfectly fit the needs of you and your family. With 86 million customers in over 200 countries, Cigna Global has unrivalled experience in dealing with varied and unique medical situations and delivering high standards of service wherever you live in the world.

Get a quote from Cigna Global

William Russell Health Insurance

William Russell

William Russell is a boutique insurance company, that values itself on its great customer service and is underwritten by Allianz. They provide health, life, and income protection insurance for expats around the world. With a global network of 40,000 hospitals and doctors, their health insurance plans are designed so that they follow you to whatever country you move to next.

Get a quote from William Russell

Moving Companies

Sirelo logo

Moving Internationally?

Sirelo has a network of more than 500 international removal companies that can move your furniture and possessions to your new home. By filling in a form, you’ll get up to 5 quotes from recommended movers. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Get your free no-obligation quotes now!