Expats will be relieved to know that the process of securing a visa for Oman is relatively hassle-free. Tourist visas for Oman are easy to come by and, although the process of securing employment visas requires a lot of paperwork, most of this is undertaken by the expat's Omani employer.

We recommend that those looking to apply for visas for Oman investigate the latest information and specifics on requirements and supplementary documents. Applications for visas will normally be typed in English for non-Arab nationals and in Arabic for Arab nationals.

Whether just visiting or moving to Oman, be sure to know the type of visa needed, as there are various options for tourists, those buying property, students, employees and family dependants. 

Useful links

Tourist visas for Oman

Passport stamp

Nationals of countries on a designated list can obtain single-entry or multiple-entry tourist visas for Oman. This includes nationals from New Zealand, South Korea, the USA, Canada, Australia and Japan, among others.

Tourist visas must be applied for before leaving for Oman and the duration of validity is normally 30 days, or 30 days within one year. Passports must be valid for at least six months when arriving in Oman, and travellers will also need to submit a passport photo with their application. 

Nationals of certain countries can apply online for an eVisa. This process is much easier than applying for a paper visa, but is only valid for a short period, and is specifically for tourism purposes. Once a tourist visa is approved, holders can travel to Oman, but they must submit proof of accommodation and return flights upon arrival in the country.

Useful links

  • Travellers from more than 40 countries are eligible to apply for an eVisa and can visit the eVisa website to learn more about the application process. 

Visas for foreign investors in Oman

Oman launched an Investment Residency Programme in 2021 in which foreign investors can gain residency for five or 10 years, after which it can be renewed. To be eligible, expats are required to invest a certain amount in Oman. This can be in the form of investing a certain amount in a local company or property, owning a business that employs a certain number of Omani locals, or taking out government bond investments.

Visas for buying property in Oman

New housing developments and accommodation pop up frequently in Oman, and foreign citizens can buy property under certain conditions. Foreign nationals looking to buy and invest in housing units in designated tourist complexes can enter on specific Off-the-Plan Owner Visas. These visas are limited to stays of 21 days and supporting documents are needed, including contracts for purchasing the property and a letter from the building’s developer stamped by the Ministry of Tourism. 

Once expats have bought a property in Oman, they must apply for a resident Property Owner Visa. They must include a copy of their title deed and the building’s floor plan. These visas last between two and six years and are renewable.

Useful links

Student visas for Oman

Non-Omani citizens accepted to study in Oman can apply for a multi-entry student visa. Student visas are valid for one to two years and can be renewed according to the duration of the course being studied. 

Students must provide a letter from the training or educational institution where they have been accepted to study. Students from countries, including India, Pakistan and the Philippines among others must submit an original and a copy of a medical certificate. 

Work visas for Oman

Visa application

Expats looking to live and work in Oman will require an employment visa, which can only be obtained in partnership with a sponsoring Omani employer – so it is necessary to have a job before applying for this visa. 

Although the application process for this visa demands a significant amount of paperwork, the good news for expats is that the administrative burden of applying falls largely on the shoulders of their Omani employers. If an expat is gaining employment from a government organisation, there will be no need for a permit from the Ministry of Manpower.

Omanisation – essentially widening the local workforce – means strict expat quotas across economic sectors, and authorities must be convinced certain positions cannot be adequately filled by an Omani citizen. Employers must be aware of the required regulations and apply for a labour permit from the Ministry of Manpower.

Since employers invest so much in helping prospective employees obtain employment visas, it is difficult to change jobs while in Oman. Expats previously required their employer to agree and sign a No Objection Certificate (NOC), or they would have to leave the country for at least two years and start the employment visa application all over again. This requirement was scrapped in 2021, making it easier for expats to change jobs in Oman. 

Employment visas are valid for two years and allow for multiple entries. After expats have received their work visas, they must apply for a residence card within 30 days of their arrival in Oman. This can be done at the Civil Status Department of the Royal Oman Police.

Temporary work visas

Expats who plan to stay in Oman for a short term can also apply for a temporary work visa, valid for four, six or nine months. Applicants for work visas must not be younger than 21 years of age. 

Temporary work visas also allow multiple entries, which is useful for business people and employees who go on frequent business trips abroad.

Family joining and family residence visas for Oman

Family joining and family residence visas are granted to the spouses of holders of Omani employment visas as well as to their children, provided they are younger than 21 years old. These visas are valid for two years and allow for multiple entries.

Family joining visas are applied for when families are travelling to Oman to join their spouse who is already working there, while family residence visas may be applied for while both parties are still in their home country.

The process is much the same: expats will require a sponsor to act on their behalf and must supply certified copies of marriage certificates to prove their status as a 'family unit'. The family joining visas are generally easier to procure, as the spouse who is already in Oman (on an employment visa and possessing a resident card) can easily prove their legal right to reside in the country.

Bear in mind that family joining visas require the expat residing in Oman to be in a senior job position according to GCC standards. They will also need to be earning a salary at or above a specified minimum income threshold. Citizens from certain countries may need to provide a medical certificate along with their application.

*Visa regulations are subject to change at short notice, and expats should contact their respective embassy or consulate for the latest details.

Expat Health Insurance

Cigna Health Insurance

Cigna Global Health Insurance.

Moving your family abroad can be intimidating, but learning about medical options such as family health insurance early on can help you settle successfully.

  • Comprehensive Family coverage, wherever you go
  • Paediatric coverage for well-child visits & immunizations
  • Access to dental and orthodontic care
  • 24/7 multilingual Customer Service

Get a quote from Cigna Global (10% off family health plans in June)

Moving Internationally?

Sirelo logo

International Movers. Get Quotes. Compare Prices.

Sirelo has a network of more than 500 international removal companies that can move your furniture and possessions to your new home. By filling in a form, you’ll get up to 5 quotes from recommended movers. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Get your free no-obligation quotes from select removal companies now!