Guidance for planning to live a year in La Patagonia?

KaiSage's picture
By KaiSage - Posted on
01 March 2017

My name is Kai and I would like to reach out for assistance in relocating to Patagonia Region in September 2017.

I am married to a super fantastic woman, back in 19998 she lived in Esquel and worked as an English teacher. We are looking to relocate to Esquel and/or San Martin De Los Andes.

We have a few questions like:

1) Can we ship our family vehicle to Argentina? Any horror stories?
2) How long can it take to get residence visa for Argentina?
3) Are there 3 bedroom homes available for long term rent in Esquel?
4) What are things that Americans need to know about living in Argentina longer than 90 days?

I think this is enough for now, if you can thing of anything else, please let us know we are very grateful for any assistance anyone may provide.

Best,

Kai

Last seen: 20 min 31 sec ago

Hey Kai,

I don't have answers for all of your questions, but here's a few ideas and resources to get started with.

►Visas for Argentina – there's a lengthy section in this article about residence visas, which you may find useful. I'm not sure how long the application process would take, though.
►Accommodation in Argentina – an overview of the process of finding and renting accommodation (there is also a section on purchasing a house, but that you can disregard as you're planning to rent)
►And lastly, Moving to Argentina – a detailed summary of what it's like to live in Argentina which touches on a variety of aspects of living there

As far as shipping a car goes, I imagine that Argentina's famously complicated bureaucratic procedures might make the process a bit of a headache. Then again, there's a lot of paperwork involved in buying a car in Argentina itself, too. My advice would be to consult with a relocation company and get their advice, plus an approximate cost.

Will you be looking for a job in Argentina, too? If so, what industry are you in?

Hope this helps. Best of luck for the move.

Read more posts about Argentina