Homeschooling in Argentina?

SSKopan's picture
By SSKopan - Posted on

I just saw an article on education in Argentina and it stated that homeschooling was NOT an option! I'm a bit confused since I came across another article by HSLDA which stated " There is no legislation that expressly prohibits homeschooling in Argentina" Then it went on to add that there ARE families that homeschool. Any thoughts on this? My kids are currently homeschooled and I'd like to continue that. However, if it's illegal, then we'd respect the laws of the country on this. Any thoughts? Can anyone give me some specifics? 
Thanks :)

Last seen: 1 week 15 hours ago

Hi Scherylline,

Homeschooling in Argentina, as you've already discovered, is very much a grey area. It's neither expressly legal nor expressly illegal - in other words, there are no specific laws regulating homeschooling in Argentina, and therefore no legal framework within which to operate. Which means that obtaining certification for your child's education, for example, is difficult. The only laws that can be applied to homeschooling in Argentina are as follows:

• Minor children are under the authority and care of parents
  • Parents have the duty and the right to raise, support, and educate their children
  • The State guarantees the constitutional right to teach and learn
  • The family is a natural and primary agent in the education of children
  • Parents have the right to choose an educational institution that corresponds to their philosophical, ethical or religious convictions.

As you can see, they're rather vague, which I think in practice would make homeschooling a difficult route to follow. It may help to join an organisation such as the HSLDA if you haven't already.

An international school might be an option, if you can afford it (the fees are notoriously high). If your children are young enough, though, going to a public school could help them integrate with the local population. I mention the age of your children because the younger they are the easier it is to pick up a new language - all public schools in Argentina speak in Spanish.

You can have a look at our Education and Schools in Argentina page for more information. 

Best of luck.

SSKopan's picture

Meagan,

Thanks for the feedback. My children are 6 and younger. Although my preference is clearly homeschooling, if I HAD to pick a option for regular school, I'd probably go the public school route, because I also think that that will help them integrate into Argentine society.

Lots to consider, but thankfully we have a few months to figure it out. Thanks again for the feedback.

Schery.

Anonymous

Hi Meagan,
I have lived and home-schooled my two boys in Argentina for last 4 years. Though there is no legislation regarding Home-schooling in Argentina, there is a growing movement of home-schooling. For example, in the outskirts of Buenos Aires there are several Waldorf schools which also have communities of home-schoolers, unschoolers and freeschoolers interacting with it.
There is also a growing movement in Mendoza. My family was based in Nono, Cordoba, next to the beautiful Sierras Mountains, and though we originally moved there for the Waldorf school El Trigal, which is tucked away in Villas de Las Rosas, after a year, our boys chose to learn at home. And there are quite a few families on the mountain sides and valleys within this region that freely homeschool. But as it was noted by others, the grey area regarding no legislation makes it more complicated to integrate the children back into school if they should wish it, or for university - but not impossible. I am Argentinean, my husband is Australian and our boys were born in Australia. So we had the possibility to have them take exams on a visit to Melbourne and take the results back to Argentina for entry into the school system. This was advise given to us by the School Board in Cordoba.
As it turned out, we decided not to stay for many other reasons and are home-schooling in North America at present.
I consider Argentina still very much closed minded to Home-schooling in general, more from a lack of knowledge than prejudice. But it's catching on.
Lots of luck!
Virginia Kamino

Read more posts about Argentina