Healthcare provision for early UK retirees in Austria?

Jane Sharps's picture
By Jane Sharps - Posted on
23 September 2017

My husband and I have recently moved to Austria to look after our 4 year old grandaughter while her parents work. My husband is 64 and in receipt of a work pension, he will be eligible for UK state pension June 2018, I am 61 and will not qualify for state pension until 2022, are we able to use our UK EHIC cards for health treatment or do we have to get private health insurance?

EmmaL's picture

Hi Jane

Austria has a very good public healthcare system, and your EHIC cards allow you to use it. Most people don't feel the need for private health insurance, but if you need more than just basic coverage, private health insurance is an option. Have a read of our page on healthcare in Austria for some more information on their public healthcare.

Are you moving to Austria permanently? 

Hope this helped,
Anonymous

Thanks Emmal for your response. Yes we plan to stay in Austria so do we have to just register with a doctor or do we need some form of social security card as I thought the EHIC only covered immediate and necessary treatment.

EmmaL's picture

Hi Jane

Once you're in Austria, you have to register to get access to the public healthcare system. After that, you'll get a green e-card that processes all claims and such. The process explained in more detail in our guide to healthcare in Austria, so have a look there.

How long have you been in Austria?

Read more posts about Austria