Hi everyone

I've been offered a great job in Florida, and in light of all these recent hurricanes, I'm rethinking it. I know it's hurricane season and such, but if I'm constantly worrying about evacuating every year, I don't know if it's worth it. I'm also not from a place where natural disasters like earthquakes and hurricanes occur, so I have no experience or any idea if the media frenzy about it has any merit.

So a question to people living in Florida: how bad does it really get? Is it a constant fear? Should I be looking for a place with a bunker? 

Thanks for your opinions,
Anya
Anonymous (not verified) on 28 Sep 2017
People in FL don't have to evacuate that often. FL is an amazing place to live (if not a little humid)Take the chance. Whats the worst thing that could happen? You could return home. Look how much you will have learned.Go for it!
Anya on 29 Sep 2017
Hi Anonymous

Thanks for the advice. Do you live in FL? I've heard that it can be really humid. Is it the same more north, close to the border with Alabama? I'll be working in Crestview.

Thanks!
Anya 
Anonymous (not verified) on 27 Oct 2017
I grew up in NW Florida and it is a great place. Don't let the fear of hurricanes scare you away. You could go years and not have one come to the area. It does get very humid there but you will be surrounded by the most beautiful beaches! The sand is so white it looks like snow. Go for it and enjoy the adventure!
mskaye on 15 Dec 2017
I'm located SW of Florida and the most I've ever seen during hurricane season is plenty of gusty winds and heavy rains, with plenty of debris afterward. However, downtown experience more winds and rains because it is close to the Gulf and street flooding, but not as bad as in Miami or The Keys. Now, if you reside central or further north, the location usually gets the tail end of the hurricane or nothing at all, but probably the worst would be heavy rains.
EmmanuelleJ on 14 Mar 2019

The good thing about hurricanes is that they can be tracked weeks ahead of landfall. When Irma's trajectory aimed at Miami in Sept.2017, we knew 1 week in advance we had to evacuate. It's not like earthquakes for example that can really surprise you. And these strong hurricanes do not commonly hit Miami, I would not let that stop you from living here.