How would I go about moving to Japan?

Scottcjohnson81's picture
By Scottcjohnson81 - Posted on
10 July 2016

Hi I am from the United Kingdom, I work offshore and am soon being sent on rotation to Saudi Arabia. I have visited Japan and now being 28 x 28 rotation I would like to move there. Any advice on how I can do this? Kind Regards Scott Johnson

Last seen: 3 days 2 hours ago

Hi Scott,

I think you will find the Expat Arrivals guide to Moving to Japan very useful. You can navigate between sections such as cost of living, accommodation and culture shock using the sidebar on the left of the screen.

If you'd like to ask anything else in particular, feel free.

Kind regards
Anonymous

Thanks Meagan I will look into it, I was mainly wondering what visas would be needed down the line to buy an apartment and then try and get residency,
The company i normally work for will pay my taxes in any country if requested :)
Cheers
scott

Last seen: 3 days 2 hours ago

Hi Scott,

Have a look at our Visas for Japan page - as for buying property in Japan, foreigners are allowed to do this regardless of their visa status, (although this alone won't change their visa status).

Hope this helps!

Anonymous

I Need permanent residence in Japan

Last seen: 3 days 2 hours ago

I would need a few more details to be able to give you advice. Firstly, what is your nationality? Are you currently in Japan or looking to move there in the future? Would you be moving for work or other reasons, such as to be with a spouse?

Anonymous

Hi Meagan, I am English I work in oil and gas, I am currently living between the UK and Texas, I am hoping to reside in Japan and work rotation in oil and gas so I could then if needed transfer my taxes to Japan, am.single no children, just I have been to Japan several times and just it's a place I relax so quickly and I have no desire to keep returning to the UK after each contract finishes,
Does this help at all??
Cheers

Last seen: 3 days 2 hours ago

Thanks for the info, that helps a lot. The best way to go about moving to Japan would be either if you can obtain employment in Japan or have a multinational company send you there for work purposes. Either way you'll need to organise the relevant visa and work permit (follow these links for more info on that).

For more general info on living in Japan you can start over here and use the menu bar on the left-hand side of the page to navigate to the various sections.

Hope this answers your question, and best of luck!

Anonymous

Hi Meagan
Well finally have house on the Market in the UK and got around all the stuff i needed to do,
A friend is trying to help me move to Japan who owns a few bars, He told me to take the TEFL master class to teach English to start, with this now all done do I need the letter of Eligibility first or is it okay to get one there,
Cheers
Scott

Last seen: 3 days 2 hours ago

Hey Scott,

According to the website for the Immigration Bureau of Japan, you'll need to apply for the certificate of eligibility in advance. See this link for more.

Best of luck with everything, and enjoy your stay in Japan!

Read more posts about Japan