Is a home business such as tuition, party planning or cake decorating possible?

CouldBExpat's picture
By CouldBExpat - Posted on
27 June 2016

Hi there

I will most likely be moving to Riyadh with my husband in the next few months. I have heard about the difficulty of starting a business there or getting a job as a woman, but be a qualified primary teacher, will I be able to make a bit of money by offering tuition at my home rather than working for a school? I have a baby so I would prefer to work hours that are convenient for me. Other things I would love to consider is a cake decorating business or kids party planning business which I would also only do part time, so perhaps only offer services to people within the compound we move into. Is this possible? Thank you!

CouldBExpat's picture
Last seen: 48 weeks 19 hours ago

*`Sorry...I meant 'being' a qualified teacher.

Brenda Hurley-Shaw's picture

Good day :) I am a Canadian living on the West coast of Saudi. As far as your question on starting a business I'm not sure what the correct answer is. I would say go for it :) I live in Yanbu and some ladies on the compound here have their own gel nail business as well as a personal training/fitness business here as well. I don't see what it could hurt :) Good luck in Riyadh! Let me know if you need anything else :)

Anonymous

Thank you so much Brenda! As long as I am not inadvertently breaking any laws in Riyadh, I will definitely give it a go. Appreciate your offer to assist. Would you happen to know any names of good western compounds near AISR? My kids will most likely attend this school so I'm looking for a compound no further than a 25-30 minute drive away. The closer the better. Thanks again!

Read more posts about Saudi Arabia