Relocation to Dubai - how much can i save from $800/month salary?

Mbuotidem James's picture
By Mbuotidem James - Posted on
01 April 2012
I am a Nigerian. I'm applying for a job in Dubai which i have signed a foreign visa agreement and sent to my employer. I want to ask,please can i save enough from the $800 /month salary that they will be paying me. They will provide accommodation and transportation to the work place. And please how is life over there for young guys like me. Help me,its urgent. Thank you
Catherine's picture

Cape Town

Johannesburg, South Africa

Catherine's Website
Hi Mboutidem

It's hard to say what exactly you'll be able to save, as this all depends on your own lifestyle and expenses. The cost of living in Dubai can be steep and the salary is not a very lucrative one for Dubai. But, as your company will be providing accommodation and transportation, this is a huge chunk of your monthly expenses that you won't have to worry about. You should also check whether this includes utilities. Your company should also be offering you private health insurance.

To read more about the costs involved, check out our Cost of Living in Dubai page, and to read more about the lifestyle you can expect in the emirate, have a look at our Lifestyle in Dubai page.

Good luck with your relocation!

Catherine
Anonymous

I have been offered a job in an Estate Agents called Smith and Ken in Dubai. The pay is commission only and I am expected to pay for my own accommodation. I have 5 months to save up for moving costs and am aiming for 3-5 thousand English pounds. Will this be enough? Also, I want to bring my boyfriend with me, what sort of visas should we apply for?
Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.

GabyS's picture

South Africa

Hi Anon

The cost of living in Dubai is really quite high. The average two-bedroom apartment is now around 150,000 AED (25,200 GBP) per year, while a four-bedroom villa starts at 400,000 AED. Since you're in the property industry commission may well be quite good, but it's hard to say how much you'll need to start off with. Usually you'll need a few months rent in advance to apply for a flat. Check out the Cost of Living in Dubai page and the Accommodation in Dubai page for more info.

In terms of visas, check out the Visa page for Abu Dhabi to get a basic idea of what you need.

In terms of moving with your boyfriend - Dubai is fairly secular compared to other areas of the UAE, but it is still a Muslim country with strict laws about co-habiting with a member of the opposite sex to whom you are neither married nor related. Police won't go looking for unmarried couples, but if they find you they will prosecute. Usually this means jail time followed by deportation. Strictly speaking, you can't even share a hotel room, although many hotels will practice a "don't ask, don't tell" rule, meaning they won't ask for proof that you are married when you check in. If you want your boyfriend to come with you, it'd really be best not to take any chances and get married first.
jazeeljabbar's picture

Hi Mboutidem

Hope you are in your finest health and spirits. Its hard to survive in Dubai for $800 but there are people still living in Dubai for lesser than that hoping within a year or two they will be able to get a much better job. Dubai is a land of oppurtunities and if you are willing to struggle initially you might be able to make it.

As you have told your employer is paying you $800 with accomodation and transport which is roughly AED 3000. Being single you might need AED 1000 for food, AED 500 for telephone/mobile, and AED 1000 for other misc expenses like internet,transport during weekends, weekend entertainments, clothes etc. You might be able to save AED 500 a month.
Wish you the best of luck for your stay in Dubai.

Jazeel Jabbar is a relocation's consultant specialized in providing relocation services(which includes Move Management, Immigration services, Home Search, Intercultural Training, City Orientation, Education Search and Registration, Pet Relocation, Insurance, Business Relocation) to individuals and corporate's moving to Dubai, UAE. You can reach him at +971 55 505 8806 or at jazeel@pack2go.ae.

Anonymous

Hi sir
iam balram from India i got a job in kfc dubai they r paying me 1000 rnd and company is providing accomadition and transportion and a meal a day while we work . Can i Sarvive in 1000 diners than how much can i save sir from 1000 rnd....

Anonymous

Hello balram, mbuotidem and others ¡¡¡ I'm from venezuela, how can i do for finding a job in kfc dubai ??? The salary is low but if the company pay accomodation and transportation i think i can survive, the economic situation in venezuela is very difficult for young people at this moment, so i need to take action right now ¡¡¡ Some of you know about companies in dubai willing to pay relocation ??? thank u for the information guys ¡¡¡

Myrtle's picture

I think the best relocation company is csshomewardbound.For more details please visit http://www.csshomewardbound.com/

Myrtle's picture

Amruthanancy's picture

Hi i'm nancy.I moved to Abudhabi to Dubai just 1 week ago.And i'm selecting for relocation services in one company CSS Homeward Bound.CSS is Dubai's Premier relocation, removal and storage specialist.For more details visit the site www.csshomewardbound.com

Anonymous

i
ii need signages job for uae please help me ..

Read more posts about Dubai