Self-employed and Homeschooling in Portugal

Patsy Griffiths's picture
By Patsy Griffiths - Posted on
28 November 2011
We are thinking about moving to Portugal in 2013, to give our son the experience of living in another country and to try Portugal on for retirement. We own our own business (internet based) and home school our teenage son. First, is there any problem with homeschooling (internet based high school)? And second, continuing our business there?
PigletinPortugal's picture

It is apparently legal to homeschool in Portugal however, I am not sure of the process. The good news is there are lots of useful links:

http://www.homeschoolmedia.net
http://ensinodomestico.ning.com
http://aprendersemescola.blogspot.com

However, have you considered, if you do homeschool, how will your child intergrate with his peers, learn, the language and appreciate the culture in his new country?

My daughter was homeschooled, not through choice but purely because she was iceskating full-time. She left school at 13yrs, but a year later I found out she had written to the school asking to meet up with all her old friends and teachers. She was obviously missing something. The school wrote to me and denied her request - said it would upset the other children. I was at a loss what to say and my daughter just sat down and cried.

As far as setting up a business is concerned find a good accountant for latest advice. Try contacting AFPOP (Association for foreign residents) Home this helps and good luck with your move! 

By the way, for a glimpse into expat life in Portugal, have a look at my blog Piglet in Portugal
Patsy Griffiths's picture

Thanks for your answer.

We have been homeschooling for the last 4 years though an online curriculum which we really like as it has a very strong science basis and he wants to continue though graduation. He is a very outgoing young man and keeps in contact here with his peers through church groups and fencing club, so I would assume we would find something like that there. If we decide to do this in 2013 he also would start language classes before leaving and his Dad has a spattering of Portuguese (enough for business purposes as he used to do business there). We have also been doing our personal business for over ten years so it's established. I really appreciate the contact you listed and will be looking into it.

Thank you so much and I'm going over to check out your blog now.

Which I have now done and think I have found a kindred spirit.

PigletinPortugal's picture

Hi Patsy,

Sounds like your son is already well established with homeschooling :)
Which part of Portugal are you considering?

PiP

Patsy Griffiths's picture

We haven't got that far yet...But we have narrowed it down to 2 countries, New Zealand and Portugal. Our son is wanting to go into Marine Medicine so we are looking at places that offer an ocean environment to further that passion. We had thought about just moving to Florida, but after thinking about it, we realized that because our business can be done anywhere we have internet access, we weren't limited to the States. Our main concern was, he wants to continue homeschooling and we know some places aren't friendly to that. We are truly blessed that we have the ability to do this at this time in his life.

We don't have to be right on the water, but within walking distance would be nice...Any suggestions?

As for the business part it appears to be fairly simple since we aren't setting up a new one or competing with local ones.

I love your blog and I can so relate to the garden and Mr. Piglet. My better half just finished rototilling and adding about two square yards of manure by wheelbarrow to "another" 1000 ft of garden. We're on limestone with very little dirt and you pry the rock out with a crowbar.

Thanks for your support and help,
Patsy

PigletinPortugal's picture

Can your son study Marine medicine at home?

Read more posts about Portugal