Posted by Faye.westney
on 15 Feb 2016
Hi, I am a brand new member to ExpatArrivals and would really appreciate some advice. I'm from the UK and plan to relocate to Chicago, where my boyfriend is based. I have thoroughly researched US visa requirements and am looking for a job/company that sponsors H1B visa. I would really appreciate any advice from someone with expertise in this field, or with personal experience of my situation on the best ways to network, raise my profile and improve my chances of securing a job opportunity. My challenge is that I am only eligible for the H1B speciality visa ie. I must show I have unique skills that only I possess and that will benefit a US employer. I have applied for a number of jobs but so far have had no positive leads. I am a retail buyer with over 12 years experience with skills that would also transition valuably to sales. Thank you in advance for reviewing my post.
iloveengland4e… on 16 Feb 2016
Hi There and welcome to ExpatArrivals :) You are trying to leave the UK and I am trying to get to the UK lol. In answer to your question, it will be difficult in a way. Have you checked the USA shortage skills list by any chance? In the USA retail is truly a very huge market and from what I understand it is also very saturated in terms of so many people are in the industry as well and unfortunately layoffs are occurring in that industry for example Sears is a major retail giant within the USA and they will be closing stores soon in a few months. I dont mean to put a damper on things but anything is possible and if you want something bad enough GO FOR IT NO MATTER WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO. I wish you luck in your journey and if you have any further questions, i hope i can help in some way. Continued blessings!
Anonymous (not verified) on 16 Feb 2016
Hi there, and thanks for taking the time to respond to my post. Firstly, if you need any advice about moving to the UK, I'd be glad to help. You made a great suggestion to look at the USA shortage skills list. I will check it and see if it opens up any possibilities. Everything you have said is as I expected - retail is a huge industry with a surplus of perfectly qualified US citizens. Nevertheless, you have given me something else to consider. Thank you! And good luck with your future plans!