on 6 Feb 2013

I am planning a move with the family to Chicago later this year. My company is contributing to my health insurance but I am not sure if they will be making the contribution for my wife and child.

I am aware that healthcare is really expensive in the States. Are there any options for expats to use free public healthcare ? Can anyone recommend any good health insurers ?

Also what are the best hospitals in Chicago ?

Please do let me know your thoughts.

Cheers

Shantalie on 8 Feb 2013
Hi Smith,

Healthcare provision  in the USA is a little bit of a contentious issue. 

If at all possible, it is worth negotiating some contribution to your family's health insurance into your employment contract.

Unlike in the UK, Europe and Canada the USA has no real free public health system. While there is no law in the USA that forces expats to get health insurance, it is wise to enure you have sufficient cover. Otherwise in the case of a severe accident, you might face some hefty bills. 

The USA does offer assistance to their citizens who cannot afford health insurance and children. However, expats do not qualify for this.

I suggest you have a read of the Expat Arrival's page on Healthcare in the USA for a comprehensive overview of all medical related issues . For a list of hospitals in Chicago take a look at the Healthcare in Chicago page.

Do note however, that as long as you have health insurance you'll have access to some of the best healthcare in the world in the USA.

Best of luck with the move to Chicago.