What is contained in an expat package in Ottawa, Canada?

GJP's picture
By GJP - Posted on
04 November 2017

Hi

Is there a difference between a local employment contract and an expat package in Canada?

Do the expat packages in Canada normally include private health insurance, assistance with school fees and flights back to the home country once a year?

(I understand that everyone is entitled to free public health care. And that there are no school fees in a state school)

Or is it the case that all arrangements have to be made by the employee, who is responsible for his family's school fees (if in a private school), medical bills (like orthodontic treatment) and flights back to the home country.

Thanks

P

EmmaL's picture
Last seen: 7 hours 49 sec ago

Hi GJP

Expat packages will often include benefits unique to people from outside the country, like annual trips home or assistance with accommodation. This varies highly from employer to employer and also depends on the line of work and your work experience. Executives can expect more in a package than someone only beginning their career. Read our guide on working in Canada for a start.

What do you do? Where are you from? 

Hope this helped,

Anonymous

Hi this is Vinay.K.Setty. I am 45 years old working in MUSCAT,SULTANATE OF OMAN. MIDDLE EAST. I am from India working herer for the last two years. My line of activity is supervisor category in road projects earth works and i have got good over 15 years of experience in machinery maintenance incharge such as nexcavators graders rollers dumpers etc. can i have opportunities there. secondly what will be the expenditure per head per ,month. what will be the average salary.
thanks & regrds
Vinay.K.Setty.

Anonymous

Dear EmmaL

Thanks for your reply. I am a very senior infrastructure executive engineer and I specialize in heavy transport.

I have been offered CDN 250,000,but this is less than what I am making in the middle east.

In Canada I have no school fees paid, no medical insurance and no business class flights back home.

Your thoughts?

Read more posts about Canada