Healthcare in Brussels

The Marie Louise Hospital in BerlinAll employees and self-employed people in Belgium by law have to contribute to a health insurance fund as part of the normal social security enrolment process. There are, however, special health insurance plans which have been designed specifically for expats and are valid in a number of countries. It is worth investigating if you qualify for ‘non-resident’ tax status. If you do, you may not be required to contribute to national social security, in which case you will probably be covered by your employer’s healthcare plan.

Most dentists do not accept state insurance, though some accept fractional payment from the state for dental care.

A European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) is also a good idea as it entitles European citizens working in foreign countries to the same treatment at the same cost as a national of that country. However, a card cannot be used within Belgium unless it has been issued elsewhere in the European Union. Ambulances are not part of the national healthcare plan, but may be covered by private insurance if you have it.

Recommended hospitals in Brussels for expats

  • UZ Brussel (university hospital), Tel: +32 (0)2 477 2111
  • Hôpital Erasme, Tel: +32 (0)2 739 8411
  • Hopital Saint Michel, Tel: +32 (0)2 737 8000
  • Hopital Saint Elisabeth, Tel: +32 (0)2 373 1611

Become our local expat expert for your area!

Expat Arrivals is looking for contributors to make this the ultimate guide for international expats.

If you are an established expat who could make time to write useful information for expats in your city and answering forum questions from new and prospective expats, please contact us.

As our local expert you can have your profile showing on each page you publish, and will have an option to promote your website or blog.

Got a question about your new country?

Search Expat Arrivals