Work Permits for China

Example of a Chinese residence permitChinese visa processes are notoriously difficult to navigate, and the safest option would be to work through an immigration expert. Immigration procedures are largely carried out at local level, and each locality has a unique structure. This means that expats who apply for a work permit in China will need to fulfil different requirements depending on where they'll be working. 

After entering the country with their Z Visa, expats should apply for work and residence permits for China as soon after they arrive as possible. This is especially important given that, under regulations that took effect in September 2013, the processing period for permits alone can take up to 15 days and interviews may be required.

In fact, the entire process, from the employer applying for the expat’s employment licence, to the expat receiving their work and residence permits once they're in the country, can take longer than six weeks.

The amended regulations also had effects on the local level. In Shanghai, for instance, foreigners applying for a residence card need to have a foreign expert permit, whereas a work permit sufficed in the past . Furthermore, the unmarried partners of foreign workers can no longer apply for a residence permit as a dependent.

Although immigration experts are more necessary than ever for expats wanting to work in China, it's still useful for them to have a general idea of the Chinese work and residence permit system.

Work permits for China

Each case is unique and there are differences between each city’s immigration and labour processes. There are, however, a few standard requirements that expat employees will likely have to fulfil:

  • They'll need to obtain a Z visa prior to arriving

  • The work permit application has to be sponsored by a locally registered company in China

  • They'll need to live and work in the same location as their sponsoring company

  • A medical examination is required​

Work permit process

The employee will go for a medical examination at an authorised hospital either inside or outside China. A report must be signed by their doctor and stamped with the hospital’s seal. Some cities, such as Beijing, also require foreign employees to have a non-criminal record check attested by Chinese authorities. In Shanghai, foreign nationals can have their medical examination after they get their Z Visa and work permit.

The medical report will be attached to an employment licence application, which is often submitted by the Chinese employer to their local labour bureau.

Once an employment licence is approved and granted, the company requests a Z Visa invitation from their local Foreign Economic and Trade Commission. These are forwarded to the employee, who applies for a Z Visa at the Chinese embassy or consulate in their home country. After the employee arrives in China, they need to apply for a work permit at their local labour bureau.

Residence permits for China

Within 24 hours of arriving in China, expats have to complete a Temporary Residence Registration Form and produce their passport at the local police station. Expats staying in a hotel may be able to register there, but those staying with a Chinese resident, even if they are foreign nationals, will have to register at the local Public Security Bureau (PSB). Some cities require expats to do this after every trip they make out of the country.

Residence permit process

In addition to applying for a work permit and registering their temporary residence, expats need to apply for a working foreigner’s residence permit at their local PSB within 30 days of arriving in the country.

The Chinese residence permit is an expat’s proof that they're legally living in the country. These are valid for up to a year and can be renewed for a year at a time, usually when a work permit extension is applied for.

If someone wants to move to a different region of China, they'll have to get permission from their local PSB and apply for a new residence permit at the PSB in their new destination.

If any changes need to be made to the residence permit, such as a change of address, they have to be applied for less than 10 days after the change takes place.

The following may be required when applying for a residence permit for China:

  • Passport, photos and other supporting personal documentation

  • Fingerprints and other biometric information

  • A health certificate that is valid for more than a year

Work permit and other relevant supporting materials issued by Chinese authorities 

*Visa regulations are subject to change at short notice and expats should contact their respective embassy or consulate for the latest details.

Search Expat Arrivals

Become our local expat expert for your area!

Expat Arrivals is looking for contributors to make this the ultimate guide for international expats.

If you are an established expat who could make time to write useful information for expats in your city and answering forum questions from new and prospective expats, please contact us.

As our local expert you can have your profile showing on each page you publish, and will have an option to promote your website or blog.

Got a question about your new country?

Login with your Facebook account (Recommended)
, after login or registration your account will be connected.