Visas for the Netherlands

Given that the Netherlands is a Schengen state, many expats won't need a visa for short-term visits or business trips. Those travelling to the Netherlands from outside the EU will need to check visa regulations even for short trips. All visas should be applied for at least 4 weeks before travelling to the Netherlands. 

Schengen visas for the Netherlands

Expats who need a Schengen visa will have to complete an application form, gather supporting documents and submit them to their closest Dutch embassy or consulate before they travel. All documents must be in English or Dutch.

In some cases, applicants may have to provide additional documents at the discretion of the Dutch embassy or consulate.

It's best for expats to bring their documents with them when travelling to the Netherlands, in case border guards request these.

Working holiday visas for the Netherlands

Nationals of Canada, South Korea, Argentina, Australia and New Zealand between the ages of 18 and 31 are eligible to live and work in the Netherlands for one year on a working holiday visa. The Working Holiday Program or Scheme allows holders of the visa to reside in the country on a temporary residence permit.

Residence permits for the Netherlands

Non-EU/EEA citizens will need a residence permit if they intend to stay in the Netherlands for more than three months.

Residence permits are generally valid for one year and should be applied for at the Dutch Immigration and Naturalisation Service within three working days of arriving in the Netherlands.

Applications are normally done by an employer on their foreign employee's behalf. After processing, a sticker is placed in the expat's passport confirming their residence, and along with their work permit, whether they can take up employment. 

Although EU citizens don’t require a residence permit, they do have to register with their local municipality if they live in the Netherlands for more than four months or live with a family member who is not an EU/EEA citizen. Once they've registered, expats will receive a BSN Number (Citizen Service Number).

Expats can apply for permanent residence in the Netherlands if they've lived in the country for an uninterrupted period of five years. Once they have this, they no longer need an employer-sponsored work permit.

*Visa regulations are subject to change at short notice and expats should contact their respective embassy or consulate for the latest details.