Expert Info

Posted by
on 30 Apr 2013
Hello, I am a 33 year old argentinian married with an italian, living in italy since 2008. I've been in Vienna two summers ago and since then I can't stop thinking about going to live there... My husband works in IT and I am a senior image consultant and sales assistant in a very nice and fashion boutique at Palermo. I speak english, italian and of course spanish. Now I'm starting with german because of my "austrian" desire... We would like to move to Vienna but we don't know where to start... If my husband moves there, can I move with him without any problems? I ask because I am not a UE citizen (but I have the Permesso di soggiorno). If he doesn't have a job, can I work anyway?? Does someone want to help me? :) I will be gratefull... Gabriela
Shantalie on 2 May 2013
Hi Gabriela,

As you husband is a EU national you are elibale to apply for residence in Austria by submitting your passports, evidence of marriage to the EU nationa and a letter of support confirming that your husband is willing to support you. 

While it is possible for non-EU citizens, like yourself, to obtain a residence pemit for Austria you should know that this will not automatically grant you the right to work in Austria. This means you will also need to apply for a work permit to take up employment.

To apply for a work permit you will need to have a job offer in place and your employer will need to prove you that you have relevant skills or expertise that the company needs and has not been able to source from with Austria and the EU.

Furthermore, its great that you are learning German as you will need to pass a proficiency test as part of the work permit application process.

Refer to the Visas for Austria and Working in Austria pages for further information.

I hope this is enough to get you started, do ask if you have anymore queries.