Posted by taylor1
on 20 Mar 2018
Hi all, 

I'm thinking about moving to Budapest and I love cycling wherever I need to go. 

I've heard that cycling is popular there, but smoking is popular and that doesn't make it safe. 

So my questions are: 
How safe is cycling in Budapest? 
What's the road culture like? 
Are there bike lanes? 
Also, how is cycling in winter? 

Thanks in advance.
abdulkadir on 26 Mar 2018
Budapest is a nice place to live. People over there also love to travel on cycle and the culture over there will help you a lot in doing cycling.
Kyle de Villiers on 27 Mar 2018
Hi Taylor,

Cycling in Budapest is safe and the city is equipped with bike lanes.

Although Hungary has a relatively high number of street accidents, if you adhere strictly to the rules of the road then you shouldn't have any problems. Budapest has a sophisticated cycling culture which is only growing.  

Cycling in winter is manageable but it's extremely cold. It might require some acclimatisation. 

I feel like that covers it, but if there's anything more then feel free to ask,

-Kyle