Sign in to join the discussion or ask one of our experts another question.

Moving to China

joskowski99's picture
By joskowski99 - Posted on
03 June 2012
I should soon have a job offer which includes accomodation, health insurance etc. However, I want my boyfriend to move out to China with me. Does he need a job before arriving or could he live off my salary until he finds work?
GabyS's picture
Last seen: 3 years 25 weeks ago
Joined: 28/03/2012

Living in:
Cape Town, South Africa

South Africa

Hi Joskowski99

If you and your boyfriend were married, he'd be able to go over on a dependency visa and look for a job once he was there. But I'm afraid since he isn't your spouse, he will have to find a job before moving to China.

He'll need to start by finding a job, negotiating a contract, and then having his employer obtain an employment license and a letter of invitation for him. Once he's done that he can apply for a Z visa (work visa), which is valid for 90 days. On arrival in China, he'll need to apply for a work permit and a residence permit. You'll also have to organise all of this for yourself - see the Work permits for China page for more detailed information.
Your rating: None
Anonymous's picture

Nyc Moving Company
Shleppers has been New York's leading relocation and moving company.

Your rating: None
sara197536's picture
Last seen: 3 years 31 weeks ago
Joined: 27/08/2012

After many years living and working in China, I would like to share some of my experiences, in particular our children’s education. If you’re moving to China or considering an international school in China then hopefully my insights can offer some benefit.

Your rating: None

Post new comment

Please only respond to the original question. If you have a new question, click here
By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.

Comment Note

If you are not logged in, your comment will first be moderated before showing up on the page. Thanks for being patient. Please don't resubmit your comment when you don't see it appear immediately.

If you browser seems to hang when submitting a comment, please click here and reload the main Q and A Forum Page.

Read more posts about China

Search Expat Arrivals

Become our local expat expert for your area!

Expat Arrivals is looking for contributors to make this the ultimate guide for international expats.

If you are an established expat who could make time to write useful information for expats in your city and answering forum questions from new and prospective expats, please contact us.

As our local expert you can have your profile showing on each page you publish, and will have an option to promote your website or blog.

Got a question about your new country?

Login with your Facebook account (Recommended)
, after login or registration your account will be connected.