Moving to Kuala Lumpur with a family. What is the cost of living like?

lapada's picture
By lapada - Posted on

Hello, I am a compliance/AML officer thinking of moving to Kuala Lumpur with my 3 children. Does anyone have an idea of what salaries for such a position could be and general cost of living? Thanks

EmmaL's picture
Last seen: 1 day 8 hours ago

Hi lapada

Salaries in Malaysia will vary depending on the type of job and your qualifications and experience. Where are you currently living? In comparison to other major cities around, Kuala Lumpur has a relatively low cost of living. Have a read through our page on Cost of Living in Kuala Lumpur.

How old are your children? Have you considered schools in Kuala Lumpur? 

Anonymous

Hi Emma, Thank you for your reply. My kids are 14,12,10 and go to French school. I have had a look at the French schools in KL. I mainly need to know what a Compliance Officer/Anti Money Laundering reporting Officer could earn, and whether this would be sufficient to raise three kids there. Accommodation seem a little cheaper than in Mauritius where I am at the moment. How easy (or not) is it to get a work permit for foreigners? Would you know?

lapada's picture

Thank you for last Emma. I have already replied but can; t see my post! I have 3 children (14,12 and 10) going to french school. I have had a look at the schools. Do you know if foreigners can easily get work permit? What is generally quality of life there?

EmmaL's picture
Last seen: 1 day 8 hours ago

Hi lapada

Getting a work permit for Kuala Lumpur may be tedious. Read through our guide on work permits for Malaysia. The quality of life is difficult to pinpoint, as everyone has different standards and values, but according to the quality of life index, it is moderate.

Have a read though this article on the Pros and Cons of living in Kuala Lumpur. While there are many good points that can be made in favour of Kuala Lumpur, ultimately it's a matter of personal decision.

Good luck,
Anonymous

Hello,
I would like to move to Kl with my husband and my 3.5 year old daughter.How can we apply for work permit? Can we work without work permit?We both are working. My husband has 15 years of experience in Music and I have 10 years of experience in admin department.

Last seen: 1 day 6 hours ago

No, unfortunately you won't be able to work without a work permit in Malaysia. Though a tedious process, it's unfortunately necessary. Take a look at our guide to work permits: www.expatarrivals.com/malaysia/work-permits-for-malaysia

Best of luck.

Anonymous

Thank you both

oonjeffrey's picture

I have a frend working for citi transaction. If you are Team Lead, it should be can get about RM10k and above.

Read more posts about Malaysia