Posted by WiseWoman

I currently have a Foreigner Expert Certificate in Shanghai.I understand that the format is changing/has changed to a universal permit with three bands, A,B,C. I believe I would be in Band B when mu current cert is renewed. I will turn 60 years old before my current contract expires in 2018. It is vitally important to me that I continue working past 60 and as originally hired on the understanding I could work to 65 or beyond.

I think there has always been a rule, rarely enforced, that expat certs would not be renewed past 60. I have heard, though not from my own HR people, that this rule will hitherto be enforced for all but Band A visas. I know that several companies and International schools in Shanghai have pre-emptively released 59+ people because a work permit cannot be guaranteed.

My own HR people tell me "there is nothing in the rumours". Since they apparently do not even know (or are not willing to talk about) that the Expert certificate is being replaced, I am not reassured. I have a short window during which I can invoke a contract cancellation clause, and thus be able to seek work elsewhere (not China) before I turn 60 - this will not be a problem as long as it is before I turn 60. But there will be a significant cost to me, and, besides, I rather like my current job.

I have been unable to find out anything more definite. Any knowledge, experience, facts,etc would be most welcome.