Tell me about the cost of living in Lagos, Nigeria

Anand Sharma's picture
By Anand Sharma - Posted on
24 June 2011
Hi Can anyone help me as I have been offered a job in Lagos, Nigeria. How much in Naira (Nigerian currency) do we need in a month if accomodation, car and driver is provided by the company if I will relocate to Nigeria alone and if with family (wife & children). Kindly help me and let me know the do's and don'ts please.
Stephanie's picture

Charlotte, North Carolina (the USA)

Stephanie's Website
First and foremost, keep in mind that Nigeria is a destination with a high hardship rating - so you shouldn't just be concerned about what you kind of salary you'll need to survive, but rather, what your company should pay you to actually "lure" you abroad. In addition to accommodation and transport, you'll need to try and negotiate plane tickets and healthcare into your salary. If coming with your children, anticipate shelling out a massive amount for the tuition costs of the international schools (look on the individual sites for an estimation of cost).

Also, keep in mind that Nigeria is not the best place for kids, and bringing your children to the African nation can greatly change your experience. You're likely to end up being frustratedby the logistics that surround your children's activities and well-being.

I've contacted our local expert to give you a more specific response, but if you haven't already done so, I highly recommed you have a look at the Expat Arrivals Nigeria guide.
Josie Parker's picture

Lagos is not a cheap place to live, especially if you want to try to live the same way as you did in your own country. Which you can do as it is possible to get most things, obviously more expensive as they have to be freighted in but they are fairly easy to obtain. However Do not believe everything you hear about how bad it is. You need to embrace the different culture and appreciate you are in another country but if you do that you can enjoy the experience. There are a great many ex pat families with young children and babies here, some who have been here for several years so it can't be that bad. Lagos has a good range of restaurants and other facilities within easy access. There are several thriving ex pat wives groups depending on your nationalities and a wide range of activities available for families, spouse and children. You do have to get involved though it is a two way activity and you have to make an effort. There are some days when I can't fit everything in! You need to check if your package includes domestic help, a must. You would also need to ensure that you will be able to survive financially for a while until your bank account is set up unless your company has another way of providing you with living expenses. there are several different ways dependent on your company.

Your rating: None Average: 2.5 (2 votes)
nimecco's picture

Lagos is one of Nigeria's expensive cities but very bubbly and alive. There are a number of foreigners living there, so adapting shouldn't be much of an issue.

If accommodation, car and driver are provided, then your mostly expenses for your family should be in the range of 10,000 naira to less than 20,000 naira. Another major expense would be school fees for your kids if they are of school age. International schools are quite expensive.Also, hope your company would provide you with a stand by generator for electricity as power isn't so stable.

I'll advise that you confirm from your company, the area where you'll be living. Choice areas will be Ikoyi, Victoria Island, Lekki and maybe Ikeja. These areas house expats and high net worth individuals and are generally safer, closer to shops of international standards, cinema's etc and are more beautiful.

New culture to get used to, but I'm sure you'll love it.

Cheers and enjoy your stay :)!

Anonymous

How does a local become an expert for this website?

Anonymous

I am a young American female considering relocation to Lagos (specifically Ikoyi) for business...so safety is essential to me. Any recommendations for how to begin the apartment search...especially since most of the offerings online are for 2 or more bedroom flats? Any websites or specific agencies to use? Also, approximately how much does it cost monthly for a car & driver? Thanks.

Anonymous

Hello anon 23:14,
I am a Nigerian.Looking online for an apartment is a complete no no.
I can recommend that you ask the local scouts on internations Nigeria about your home search.
The scout will recommend agents and sometimes go and take pictures for you of a few places.

I can recommend the 1004 flats in Victoria Island or Banana Island(depends on your budget)

The cost for driver per month ranges between 30,000 to 45,000.
For a car, most people buy cars with cash, but there will be a few leasing options from some of the car companies.
Y

Anonymous

i was offered from one logos company as hr manager with salry of 34000usd plus family accommodation ,cook,car ,medical,air fare-visa and also annual bonus,Mobile allowance

the salary is okey in Nigeria how much i can save

Anonymous

To anon 16:19

Is there no local allowance the company is paying you? You should ask for it, you dont want to be exchanging your dollars in lagos

How much you could save???Well, depends, around 2k a month i would say

Anonymous

Hi , I Hv been offered a Job in Lagos as bachelor status. Car , Accommodation , Rent and Maintenance provided by the Company. Pls help me how much expenditure would be on food , maide & entertainment..!

Anonymous

What the cots of items like computers and other stuffs theren

Anonymous

Hello everyone.

I have been offered a job in Nigeria. Excellent saving salary, local salary with fully furnished family accomodation, car with driver, electricity, water, telephone, medical, yearly passage for hometown will be provided.

Few things i wanna know : what should be minimum salary for the place ? How safe is the place ? Prefered place to stay ? any other thing which i should negotiate before going ? Do's and don'ts for the place ?

Anonymous

hmmmm! For me i think lagos is a save place for eny body live even with your family and also a good school for your kids do not mind what you see in media

Read more posts about Nigeria