on 25 Feb 2014
Hello, Im contemplating a move to Moscow for work.

At the moment due to some commitements here in England its likely to be around June/July 2014 when id make the move. Ive had a look through all the topics available on this website but wanted to get a better idea of what its like to actually live in Moscow? I guess some of things im most interested in are...

- Moving out there, any key tips/advice? things to do before moving out? - Cost of living, from my understanding and research ive conducted it seems that rental prices would be my main concern when compared to living in Manchester. But wondered if anybody had an idea of what would be a good salary to live comfortably in a 1/2 bedroom apartment in the city centre (preferably western style apartment). - Language, ive started to try and pick up some russian and the cyrillac alphabet but wondered how people got in living in moscow. Id like to learn russian to a half decent standard just to make day to day life more comfortable. Im sure ill have more questions along the way - but thanks in advance for any help.

Thanks Matt
Shantalie on 26 Feb 2014
Hi Matt,

You should start by reading out Moscow City Guide as it will answer most of your questions. 

The cost of a 2 bedroom apartment is around USD 6,500 per month if you want to be living close to the city centre. So yes, the cost of living in Russia is pretty high. Our Cost of living in Russia provides more detailed info on expenses. 

I think its great that you are learning Russian. It will certainly help you interact with the people and get over culture shock. 

Good luck. Please do let me know if you have any more questions.

Anya on 26 Feb 2014
Hey Matt,

Good luck with your move to Russia - I am sure you'll have a great time. Moving abroad can be quite stressful, especially as there are so many things to sort out before you move.

I found this article really useful before I moved - The Expat Check List. While its not geared towards people moving to Russia in particular, you'll see that most of the points made are valid to people moving to any new destination.

Hope you find it useful.

mattduk83 on 26 Feb 2014
Thanks both for your help - appreciate any advice i can get and im sure i will find the articles you have suggested very useful! thanks again Matt