Posted by jaseww
on 24 Oct 2016

I'm a 38 year old Aussie living in Valencia for a while and am seeking to undertake some volunteer work while living here.

My Spanish is still at beginner level, but am looking to be able to engage more frequently with native speakers, while also looking to utilise my English skills.

All volunteer websites I've located require me to pay a large amount of money to offer my services.

I simply want to do some volunteer work for free while living in Valencia to better engage with the people and culture.

If anyone is aware of opportunities or can point me in the direction of where I can undertake such work, let me know.

Jason

Meagan on 25 Oct 2016
Hey Jason,

It sounds like you're in Valencia already? If so, have you tried looking up a few organisations you'd like to volunteer for and contacting them directly? You could even arrange this from outside Valencia, if you're not there yet.

It can seem daunting but it definitely beats paying agents commission when all you want to do is offer some free assistance.

I think volunteering is an excellent idea. Having done some volunteer work myself, I can confirm that it really is fulfilling. And I agree, it's a great way to engage with the culture and get to know the locals better.

One thing: does your visa allow you the right to volunteer? I would just double check that with your nearest consulate or embassy as some countries count volunteering as working.

Best of luck!