Visas for Hong Kong

► Buy the Hong Kong Guide on PDF.


Depending on their nationality and the purpose of their stay, expats may need a visa in order to enter, work, study or live in Hong Kong. Fortunately, visa requirements aren't as stringent as in many other countries and the application process is relatively straightforward.

Visit visas for Hong Kong

Visit visa stamp for Hong Kong
Expats planning to visit Hong Kong should find out whether an entry visa needs to be obtained prior to departure.
Citizens from more than 150 countries around the world can enter Hong Kong without a visa for a limited amount of time. These countries include the US, the UK, Canada, Australia, South Africa and New Zealand. However, different periods of stay are granted to different nationals, so expats should be aware of the amount of time specifically associated with their nationality.
Many African and Eastern European citizens do, however, need an entry visa. This documentation can be applied for at the nearest Chinese embassy

Work visas for Hong Kong

There are a number of options when it comes to work permits for Hong Kong, with the most common being the General Employment Policy (GEP) visa for skilled and qualified workers and the Working Holiday Scheme (WHS) visa, which allows nationals of certain countries to take up part-time employment while holidaying in Hong Kong.

Dependant visas for Hong Kong

Expats in Hong Kong can apply to bring their dependants to Hong Kong. Dependants include unmarried children under the age of 18, elderly dependents over the age of 60, and spouses of the original visa holder. Each dependent is required to submit a separate application. 
Expats will have to provide proof of their relationship with their dependants, and must be able to show that they can financially support and accommodate these individuals while living in Hong Kong.

*Visa regulations are subject to change at short notice and expats should contact their respective embassy or consulate for the latest details.

Login with your Facebook account (Recommended)