The requirements surrounding work permits in Poland vary depending on an expat's nationality. 

European Union (EU) and European Economic Area (EEA) citizens do not need a work permit to be legally employed in Poland, while non-EU citizens are required to hold a work permit.

Since Poland officially became part of the EU in 2004, efforts have been made to standardise the work permit process. Rules and regulations are becoming more closely aligned with the directives used by other EU countries.

Types of work permits for Poland

There are a few types of work visas for Poland, but most new arrivals wanting to work in Poland will apply for a Type A visa, which allows expats to work in Poland if a Polish company employs them. Expats who sit on management boards typically apply for a Type B visa, which allows them to live in Poland for six months or more during the course of a year. Otherwise, the Type C work permit allows expats to work in Poland for a company that is not Polish. The Type D visa is specifically for expats who work in export services for a non-Polish company.

Applying for a work permit for Poland

Most employers apply for their employees' work permits on their behalf, as it is necessary for an employer to first establish an expat's 'permission to work' from a provincial government office, known locally as a voivode office. This application must also be made at the office in the district where the expat is to take up employment. 

For this reason, most of the burden of organising the work permit falls on the shoulders of the hiring company. The company must present a great deal of documentation, detailing its legal status, its income and losses, information relating to the number of employees in the company, and most importantly, proof that there are no qualified Polish workers who could adequately fill the position in question.

Although this removes a lot of pressure from expats, it also means that companies often choose not to hire foreigners, as the process of filing paperwork can be resource consuming. 

Work permits are issued for a maximum of three years, at which point they can be renewed accordingly.

One restriction that many expats are unaware of is the fact that work permits in Poland are job- and employer-specific. Consequently, if an expat wishes to change employers while living in Poland, they will have to reapply for a work permit.

Once 'permission to work' is granted by the voivode office, expats can apply for a formal visa at the Polish Consulate in their home country, or apply for a residency card within Poland.

*Regulations for work permits are subject to change at short notice, and expats should consult their respective embassy or consulate for the latest details.

Expat Health Insurance

Cigna Health Insurance -

Cigna Global Health Insurance

With Cigna, you won't have to rely on foreign public health care systems, which may not meet your needs. Cigna allows you to speak to a doctor on demand, for consultations or instant advice, wherever you are in the world. They also offer full cancer care across all levels of cover, and settle the cost of treatments directly with the provider. Cigna is currently offering a 10% discount for seniors (over 60) on their Silver package.

Get a quote from Cigna Global

Moving Companies

Sirelo logo

Moving Internationally?

Sirelo has a network of more than 500 international removal companies that can move your furniture and possessions to your new home. By filling in a form, you’ll get up to 5 quotes from recommended movers. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Get your free no-obligation quotes from select removal companies now!