My husband and I are looking to move to Toronto in the next year or so. We have a young son (currently a few months old) and a dog, who would be reloacting with us, and I would like some help in relation to sorting accommodation:
- Has anyone moved to Canada with young children and pets? If so, what was your experience, and what should we pay attention to?
- Is it recommended to sort out some temporary accommodation when we first arrive (e.g. hotel, holiday let, etc.), or is it possible to organise a rented flat/house before we move?
- If we rent initially, how long does it normally take to arrange a lease (so we can plan how long we would require temporary accommodation)?
- Is it possible to buy a house in Canada without first having rented? I have read that Canadian banks (like most banks) require some kind of credit history before they give you a mortgage - is it possible to 'transfer' you UK credit history to Canada, or is it not possible to buy a house in Canada if you have not initially rented?
- One of the options we are contemplating is having my husband move out to Canada first, so he can start work and look at accommodation options, and I would joing him later with the baby and the dog - in such a situation, would he be able to sort out all th paperwork on my behalf (e.g signing a rental agreement or mortgage), or would I need to be present at all the meetings / give him some kind of power of attorney before he left?
- Is there anyone we can talk to in relation to the above (e.g. government agency or advice services) who can give us more information?