Do you need a car in Singapore?

Stephanie's picture
By Stephanie - Posted on
01 September 2011
Do you need a car to live in Singapore? I'm reading that the public transportation system is top-notch and economical, but it'd be great to have some first person opinions.
Stephanie's picture

Charlotte, North Carolina (the USA)

Stephanie's Website
Unless you have kids, you don't need a car in Singapore. Getting around is safe and easy, especially if you live in the city centre. Taxis are ubiquitous and public transportation (the MRT) and buses are cheap and well-connected. Buy an EZ Link pass for good weekly rates. A car is just a lot of hassle. Even travel to nearby Southeast Asian nations is easily done via cheap flights or buses.
PierreCilliers's picture

Bishan, Singapore

Johannesburg, South Africa

Pierre's Website
If you live in the city I agree that you do not need a car. In the event that you want to live outside the city you must ensure that your residence is in walking distance of the MRT or bus station. Alternatively you can use the taxi services but this can become costly if done on a daily basis.
Bry
Bry's picture

Singapore

CuraƧao, NA

Bryan's Website
In a word, no. I don't think you need a car in Singapore. That said, if you have kids, then you do.

The public transport system is truly great here. But it's stil la bit of a drag to have to carry your stroller or your kids into a packed MRT, chase after cabs and buses, etc.

Mind you, a car will set you back by a good 50k, so you'd better have the income if you really need/want one.

If there aren't any kids in the mix, then I'd take the no-car option any time. In many cases, you may well spend longer to get from A to B that if you take the MRT, because of traffic jams, having to circle the area in search of parking and other car-related strife.
Anonymous

Thanks on your marvelous posting! I certainly enjoyed reading it, you will be a great Author. I will remember to bookmark your blog and will eventually come back from now on. I want to encourage that you continue your great writing, have a nice day!

Read more posts about Singapore