Good international schools in Singapore

GabyS's picture
By GabyS - Posted on
04 June 2012
Hi expats

We are writing a guide to schools in Singapore and would love to get some feedback from any expat parents there.
Do you have kids or do you know anyone with kids at these schools?

Stamford American School
The Canadian School
EtonHouse International School
Integrated International School (IIS)
ISS International School
Tanglin Trust School
Singapore American School
Lycée Français de Singapour

Any thoughts and insights are appreciated!
Anonymous

Depends what you are looking for - Singapore has some excellent international schools for all types of nationalities - you list most of the best ones with English and American curriculums and there are also good local schools. A couple of schools have just opened over the border in Malaysia: Marlborough College and the Raffles International School (American Curriculum I think).

Anonymous

I am pulling my child out of the Canadian International School despite their recent relocation to a nice new campus in Jurong. I would NOT recommend this school to anyone who cares at all about academic achievement. The school declares random days off (eg "organizational day"), almost whole days of no-teaching (eg "energy explosion day!" and "Open Minds 4-day full day to the zoo trips!". My child ended Grade 1 lagging behind all her peers who attended other schools. Her class teacher often absents himself during class hours for "meetings", leaving a local assistant or supply teacher in charge. There is unchecked bullying and unsupervised recess. The school barely teaches - back to my main point- they have 2 recesses and 1 lunch break and lots of free time in between. Stay clear.

Your rating: None Average: 4.7 (3 votes)
GabyS's picture

South Africa

Hi folks

Be sure to download (free!) the Expat Arrivals Singapore Schools Guide - newly launched - for an overview of what to expact from the Singapore school system.
Anonymous

We have had our child in the Canadian international east coat. I would not recommend it, after 1 year, we have had 2 cases of bullying and an incident of a teacher striking our 7 year old. The bully's seem to be safe to continue and grow into big bullies and it seems encouraged.

Anonymous

To clarify a response above by anonymous, one of the schools recently opened over the border in Malaysia is Raffles American School with an Outcome Based American Curriculum and an American/Western Faculty and Administration.

Anonymous

We have been bitterly disappointed with Stamford American International School (SAIS). My children's teachers have been good, but the management is awful. All about the money, not the children. And if you're child doesn't fit their mould expect them to bully you into leaving. Steer clear.

Anonymous

I agree with the earlier negative comments about the Canadian school. We experienced the bullying, the slack 'curriculum,' the cookie-cutter approach, etc. We withdrew our child from the school and our boy is much happier doing grade one elsewhere. Our son's teacher was cold and downright cruel, completely unsympathetic and unqualified to be there in the first place. We have heard many other complaints about this school...

Read more posts about Singapore