on 25 Mar 2013
Hello The news reports in media mention that the air quality in Beijing is a health hazard particularly for the high quantity of PM2.5 in air. I would like to know if there has been an increase of respiratory related illness in children in the expat community. My company is planning to move us to Beijing and I would like to hear first hand experiences. I have 3 children ages 9 , 5 and 3 months. Thanks VG
Expatting on 30 Aug 2013
I have no scientific data, but at least I have not heard of anyone with problems. A friend of mine worked in a major hospital in Beijing and she said in Beijing there are more cases of respirotary disease than in the countryside from what she sees (again no scientific study), but the difference is not that big. She said percentage wise the main risk of damage to your health is getting into a traffic accident.